Ask Experts » Doctors » General Medicine »

Blood Group matching for marriage

Date: 27 May 2010   Group: Doctors    Category: General Medicine    Posted By: [Anonymous]   

Hello Doctors

Why it is suggested to match blood group before marriage.

Author: Dr Sachine (Eye Retina Surgeon)    27 May 2010      Member Level: Gold     Points : 10  (Rs 6)    Voting Score: 0

Matching blood group before marriage is important. This is to prevent Rh incompatibility. Rh incompatibility can lead to erythroblastosis fetalis (Hemolytic disease of the newborn-HDN). Fetal RBC get destroyed & newborn may get severe anaemia, jaundice. This jaundice
is more severe than Physiological jaundice ( which is the most common and will usually resolve on its own).
In very severe form, fetus may die due to heart failure. This is mediated by antigen-antibodies reaction. Transfer of maternal antibodies across the placenta occurs.
This happens when Rh +ve man marries Rh-ve lady. So Rh +ve man should try to avoid marrying Rh-ve lady.
Newborn with erythroblastosis fetalis may need exchange transfusion.
Complete blood count, bilirubin levels are done. High levels of bilirubin may lead to kernicterus. Kernicterus means deposition of bilirubin in basal ganglia region & can cause severe brain damage (bilirubin encephalopathy). In kernicterus, baby will be lethargic,slowly responding when breast-feeding is tried. Bulging fontanelles may be seen
In 1st pregnancy problem is less severe but in subsequent pregnancies problem becomes more severe. Hemolytic disease of the newborn can be treated before birth by intrauterine transfusion.
Incompatibilities of ABO blood types do not cause erythroblastosis fetalis.
Erythroblastosis fetalis can be prevented by giving the mother Rh0(D) immune globulin at 28 wk gestation and within 72 h of pregnancy termination. Due to preventive treatments given to the mother, erythroblastosis fetalis is less common nowadays
Direct antiglobulin test (DAT, Direct Coomb's test ) is used to diagnose HDN.

Author: Nikhil Shelke    27 May 2010      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Hello

I am not a doctor but I can answer your question as I am RH-ve. My mother is rh-ve and my father is rh+ve. In my parents case, luckily my blood group was rh-ve.

If a girl has RH-ve & boy has RH+ve Blood Group factor (irrespective of A, B, AB, O), then there is about 50% chance that the child will be rh+ve. I such case, complication may occur. Dring pregnancy if child's blood and mother's blood mixes, mother's immune system starts to develop antibodies against RH factor. This may result in destruction in RBC as mentioned by dr.sachin.

But even in that case, it is possible to prevent such complications and the pregnancy is possible. This is because of the developments in the field of Science.

Answers      

Post answer or solution to "Blood Group matching for marriage"

You can earn revenue online from Google AdSense and our revenue sharing programs by post valid, self written answers for the problem Blood Group matching for marriage

Next Question: Stomach ache
Previous Question: Thyroid treatment