|Author: Radha Muralidhar 07 Jul 2010 Member Level: Gold Points : 3 (Rs 1) Voting Score: 0|
Today's world is a highly competitive one. Therefore, mere academic excellence is not sufficient. Some extra curricular activities are require for the over all development of a child.
Since your son is only eleven years old , I feel it is high time to encourage him to take part in some painting , music , dance competitions and even enroll him in a sports club.
Before doing so, please try to find out his interest in any one of the above activities. For example, if he is interested in singing , put him in good music school which will help him to hone his skill in music. Whenever , there is a music competition, encourage him to join . Please advise him not to bother if the doesn't win .
Similarly, if he is interested in cricket or football make him join a sports club which train the students in knowing and playing the sports like a professional.
Above all, don't just force anything on him.
|Author: shwah 07 Jul 2010 Member Level: Gold Points : 2 (Rs 1) Voting Score: 0|
Your son is a school going boy, now a days many schools already provide lots opportunities for extra- curriculum. Encourage your son to join some of them as per his interest. Along with this you can enroll him in the evening sports class.
The main idea should be make him physically active and increase his stamina.
The best extra activity for him would be, playing cricket, football, badminton whatever he likes with his dad and friends, it will create a bonding with you and your child. And playing with his peer group develop his social skills, which can not be acquired by staying at home.
|Author: Sandeep yadav 07 Jul 2010 Member Level: Gold Points : 2 (Rs 1) Voting Score: 0|
Hi, Mr. Ashok
Your son is a school student so according to him some extra activities will be very beneficial for his all round development.
You can join him music classes, dance, English speaking etc.
If he can play then join a game academy by which he can increase their mind as with the study.
|Author: jaya 07 Jul 2010 Member Level: Silver Points : 1 Voting Score: 0|
Now-a-days every one putting stress on children not only teachers but also parents. Please avoid putting stress on children. Encourage him in which stream he is interested. Make him physically and mentally fit. In this competitive world mental fitness is very important to the younger generation.
|Author: Puja Rana 08 Jul 2010 Member Level: Silver Points : 7 (Rs 3) Voting Score: 0|
Exposure to the things that are happening is very important for the all round development of a child
• Inculcate reading habit
- Motivate him to read newspaper daily specially designed for children like Hindustan Times Next
- Motivate him to read magazine for kids like Magicpot and comic books of his interest
- Take him to public libraries at times just for exposure purpose. If you want you can take the membership also. Kids learn the process involved in taking the membership
- Take him to Book Fairs. Buy some interesting books according to his age group
• Open his bank account - This will help him learn how to handle finances and at the same time inculcate the habit of saving
- Though he is a minor, his account will be linked with your account. So take him to the nearby bank and explain him the procedure as to how to open a new account in a bank
- Opt for internet banking option. Explain him the pros and cons of netbanking. This is a computer era, so he must learn and be aware of all these things
• Download some subject-related worksheets from net
- There are some good sites for kids from where you can download English, Maths, Science etc. Worksheets. Kids learn faster through activities and colourful worksheets. One site that I refer to is http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/
• Buy some intellectual and interactive games
- Science experiments game
• Play with your child indoor as well as outdoor games of his choice
- Allow him to play outdoor games with his peers
- Cycling is a good exercise if he is interested in
- These days kids are more inclined in playing with Playstation; gameboy etc. You can also play with him. There is no harm in it, but fix the time say for half an hour or maximum 45 minutes
• If he is interested in drawing, painting, music/dance, he can join the hobby classes
|Author: Ramachandran Pattabiraman 09 Jul 2010 Member Level: Gold Points : 1 Voting Score: 0|
dont flush your ideas on him. Discuss with him and his friends in front of your wife/parents and take decision which is wise and good for his future.If he makes wrong, he will realise.
|Author: pulak kanti das 11 Jul 2010 Member Level: Silver Points : 1 Voting Score: 0|
I think your child is too young.So don't be panic.Many parents force their child to study but i think its so bad.Just force him to sit for study.Your child should play with his friend which is very necessary,Discuss with him as a friend.I think nature will help him to grow up.
|Author: Ankit Maskara 11 Jul 2010 Member Level: Bronze Points : 3 (Rs 1) Voting Score: 0|
Hi Mr. Ashok,
I would recommend that your child should study till 10th in I.C.S.E board and then shift him to the C.B.S.E board for plus two i.e 12th.This helps him in having a strong foundation till 10th and prepares him for future career as an engineer or a doctor or anything for that matter.
As far as extra curricular activities are concerned it depends on your child's inclination and according to me it should not be forced. They should act as a medium to relieve him from the stress of his daily routine and infuse him with energy and happiness so that his childhood remain a childhood and enjoyable.
|Author: sendhilkumar 11 Jul 2010 Member Level: Bronze Points : 1 Voting Score: 0|
Hi Ashok ,
Don't worry now itself , he is still VI the class only , allow him to play and enjoy,why everybody is thinking only eduction will help to improve our career, allow him to concentrate in other extra curricular activities whichever is interested to your son,
|Author: shiv 12 Jul 2010 Member Level: Silver Points : 2 (Rs 1) Voting Score: 0|
As per my suggestion, you can take his admission into
These are very good games and good for health.
And also boys do have interest in Cricket so you can join the club for Cricket.
Theses Clubs or Tutuions do nominate the students for national and international level competitions as well.
Then I will suggest if he is interested in Dancing then ask him to go for Western Dance tuitions and many other dance options available.