- Category: Nutrition
- #662Dear Anantharaman,
Cod Liver Oil is a fish oil derived from the liver of Cod.
Fish oils are mostly derived from the flesh of the fish. But Cod liver oil as its name suggests is extracted from the liver of the fish. This is done because the oil got from the flesh has no vitamins. But cod liver oil from the liver has huge amounts of Vitamin A and Vitamin D.
Fish oils are mainly taken for their Omega 3 fatty acids content. Omega3 Fatty acids are of two types . They are Docosahexaenoic Acid or DHA and Eicosapentaenoic Acid or EPA. Omega3 Fatty acids can also be got from flax seeds if pure vegetarians don't like to eat fish oils.
These fish oils have huge benefits, they reduce cholesterol,are good for the heart, skin and brain. They help improving memory power for kids and adults. Pregnant woman are also advised to take Fish oil daily as it has a lot of benefits on the growing foetus brain.
But as I mentioned earlier, oil extracted from the liver has Vitamins A&D in large volumes which if consumed daily are hazardous to the health. Also the mercury content may be high if you are consuming big fishes. Rather opt for Omega3 fish oils which are purified and have no mercury nor the vitamins.
Read more on Health Benefits of Fish Oils
- #664Dear Anantharaman,
Cod liver oil is used mainly as a nutritional supplement to provide Omega fatty 3 acids and Vitamin A.
There are benefits as well as some adverse effects if the oil is taken more than RDA levels( Recommended Dietary Allowance ).
These Omega 3 Fatty acids are known to help Depression and reduces mental stress and improves moods, reduces bad cholestrol and maintains good balance of cholestrol in our body, improves resistance against infections, memory and maintains blood sugar levels.
This oil also helps you to relieve body aches and pains associated with Arthritis and other similar symptoms.This is another way of improving our skin, bones, hair and nails. Regular intake of Vitamin A in the fish oil is said to be a beauty care ingredient and is known to give you good skin an hair.
There is also another benefit which is said to help out in pregnancy and the babies of mothers who have taken cod liver oil have been found to be healthy with strong bones. There is a reduced risk of Type 1 diabetes in those babies. Mother also have seen improved breast milk secretion due to the increased amounts of fatty acids present in the oil.
Now as adverse effects it is said to have mercury content since it is extracted from the liver of the cod fish. If so then the mercury creates more problems than the good of Omega3 fatty acids and vitamin A put together.
If you are interested in taking cod liver oil, just stick to the pharmaceutical products which gives you scientifically processed cod liver oil either as the oil or as capsules. Reduce taking bigger sized sea fish and you can avoid getting mercury into your body.
But last but not the least, all the things around in this world are good if taken or used within limits. There is danger if it goes above limits.
- #1613Cod liver oil is a nutritional supplement derived from liver of cod fish. It has high levels of the omega-3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA, and very high levels of vitamin A, vitamin D and vitamin E. It is widely taken to ease the symptoms of arthritis as well as other health benefits. It was once commonly given to children
Depending on the quality of the oil, the flavor and aroma range from a mild sardine-like flavor, to an intense odor of fish and oil. High quality cod liver oil is a pale-yellow, thin, oily liquid, having a slightly fishy and bland taste. Manufacturers sometimes add flavorings, such as citrus or mint essence, to cod liver oil to make it more palatable.
- #1989Benefits And Side-effects of Cod Liver Oil are listed below:
-treatment of illnesses that involved inflammation, such as arthritis, asthma, and ulcer
-used for enhancers of positive moods.
-reduce the risk of colon cancer.
-can enhance cognitive abilities.
-its inprove eyes sight to see things at night.
-helps maintain healthy looking skin.
-usefull in formation of healthy bones.
-helps to destroy cancer cells.
-used as anti-aging.
-Difficulties in breathing, tightening sensation in the throat, chest
-Change in eyesight or blurry vision
-Rashes that are itchy or cause the skin to swell
-Thinning of the blood - if the user is currently taking a blood thinner, he or she must discuss cod liver oil side effects with a physician before taking
-Stomach cramps and sometimes diarrhea is experienced
-Nose bleeds, bleeding from the gums
-Vomiting or constipation may be indicative of an overdose of Vitamin D - this is especially true for those
who spend a considerable amount of time outdoors and in the sun
-Tiredness or drowsiness
Read More Effects and Side-effects of Cod Liver Oil
- #2047Cod liver oil is a nutritional supplement derived from liver of cod fish. It has high levels of the omega-3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA, and very high levels of vitamin A, vitamin D and vitamin E. It is widely taken to ease the symptoms of arthritis as well as other health benefits. It was once commonly given to children.
- #2052Cod liver oil provides vitamin a to our body.Its also a nutritional supplement.Oil extracted from the liver has Vitamins A&D in higher volumes . if it consumed daily that may be hazardous to our health.
- #2484The health benefits of cod liver oil are related, primarily to omega-3 fatty acids. These are essential for the healthy function of the brain, the heart, the joints, the digestive system and many other systems of the body. Another benefit of cod liver oil is related to its vitamin E content, which helps the body process the fatty acids, is an essential antioxidant and promotes the health of the skin and the hair
- #2706Cod liver oil: This is extracted from the liver of a fish called cod. Cod liver oil smells like rotten fish and no matter how you take it, whether as a pill or in liquid form, the smell will be with you for the rest of the day. It leaves some greasy taste on your tongue.
But cod liver oil is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids which is a great protection against heart disease. It boosts the immune. It is used in treating arthritis, diabetes, depression and ulcers. It also contains vitamin D which people in regions with little sunlight lack sometimes.
- #2762Cod fish is popular in foods.It is low in fat.It is the most important fishery export items among certain countries like Norway and Canada.There are controversies of putting Cod fish in Endangered species category.
Cod oil prepared from its liver consist of Omega 3 fatty acid(Unsaturated fatty acid),Vitamin A, Vitamin D ,Vitamin E.
Two types of omega 3 fatty acid present in high quantity are
(1)EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid/Timnodonic acid)
-> Helpful in reducing inflammation.
->Beneficial in mental condition such as Schizophrenia.
->Can be helpful for people having depression and suicidal behaviors.
->Useful in reducing and inhibiting progression of breast cancer.
->helpful in treating multiple myeloma
**But its high dose can inhibit liver enzyme activity which are responsible in drug metabolism.
(2)DHA(Docosahexaenoic acid/Cervonic acid)
->Reduces heart attack risk by lowering down levels of blood triglycerides.
->Helps in inhibiting growth of human carcinoma cells(Research is still going on for this)
->Supposed to be beneficial in alzheimer's disease and depression.Helps in cognitive development.
->It is major fatty acid of brain phospholipids and retina.So,used as supplement for pregnant women and as infant formula.
**But,if daily intake increases above RDA(Recommended dietary allowance), risk of HYPERVITAMINOSIS A increases on account of having high amount of vitamin A. So pregnant women should take care of its dosage(amount intake).
Other uses of Cod fish oil:
(1)Used in arthritis to reduce stiffness.
(2)To nourish nails,hairs,skin
(3)In household burns(because of having high amount of vitamin)
(4)Also used as liquid base for traditional red ochre paint and as lubricant to allow the transport of ships across the land.
**Proper purification process can reduce the risk of environmental toxins like mercury(Hg).
- #3233Cod liver oil is really a very healthy capsule for a human being to consume. it is basically made of fish oil. It is rich in Energy, Polyunsaturates and Sunshine vitamins. It builds stronger bones,better Eyesight, promotres resistance to cough and cold and buils health naturally. Dosage can be 1 or 2 capsules twice or thrce a day or as directed by the physician.