Both MS and M.Tech are equally recognized professional qualifications. Earlier there was no MS in India, but was available only abroad (US and Australia) which was pursued after 4 years of graduation (BS). But Recently many Indian universities including Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) have introduced MS (Master of Science by Research) program, considered an equivalent qualification to M.Tech, but there exists a subtle difference between both degrees.
1. In M.Tech, There will be equal emphasis on Course work and Thesis work (Project) But in MS, more emphasis will be on Practical/Research/thesis work and one will take very less courses. Out of 92 credits for the program, The credit distribution for Coursework and Thesis work in M.Tech is 46+46, while it is 16+76 in MS.
2. In MS, you will get to learn a plethora of things in your domain through practical work that will make you professionally challenging in your discipline and grooms you Industry and Research ready. Means, MS degree more caters to Research and learning by practicals kind of needs.
3. Industry prefers M.Tech holders and Research Labs/Institutes prefer MS holders.
4. Valid GATE score is mandatory for M.Tech program. But for MS, GATE score requirement is waived in some cases in which you can join in the program, but you should work in parallel with any of the Institute's Consultancy or sponsored projects (a part of which you can use for your thesis work)to get the stipend. So, here you work as an Institute's scholar (institute pays the stipend) while there is no such facility for M.Tech (stipend wll be paid by MHRD)
5. MS lays a solid research foundation for a PhD aspirant, but PhD is not a must after an MS degree. Both are independent Research degrees, similar in everything and differ only in duration. MS is of two years..and duration of PhD varies (but usually 3-5 years, may be also 6 in some cases)...(Both MS and PhD are research degrees but in PhD you will be taking more courses and will be doing more research work than MS)
M.Tech --> More course work (1.5 years)+less thesis work (0.5 years)
MS --> Course work (1 Yr)+thesis work(1 yr) (Both go hand in hand and you will also work some hours for insitute to get your stipend paid..may be some 8 hrs a week)
PhD ->Extensive course and Research work (duration varies, usually 3-5 years and you will work some hrs for the institute/lab in a week)
Size of thesis/research ---> (PhD > MS > M.Tech)
you will have un matched and competitive career prospects after a PhD (even companies prefer PhDs to any other and with a higher start up package too).
Both M.Tech and MS makes you eligible for PhD degree. But MS caters more to research needs while M.Tech caters more to Academic and Industry needs.
M.Tech courses in Electronics and Communication are available in Many Universities in AP and India. You need to clear GATE To get admission out of AP and in probably a Good or Best Institute like IIT or NIT. You need to clear PGECET to get into a best AP University Like JNTU/Andhra/Osmania University. Once you clear the GATE, the requirement of State based CET score will be waived for you and you can use the GATE score to get admission into various Universities and Professional colleges in AP, Karnataka and Tamilnadu after relevant Notifications.
So My best advice is to Concentrate on GATE from Third year itself, follow a planned, strategic and guided preparation to crack the exam. Believe me, GATE is not so difficult exam and can easily be cracked with little extra preparation apart from regular courses.
Various specialization in M.Tech for ECE are
1. Digital Communications
2. Embedded systems
3. Signal Processing
4. VLSI and Design
MS in India as I said is available in a few Institutes like IITs and Universities like Anna Universities for which you need to clear GATE and apply after Relevant Notification.
For MS in US and Canadian Universities, U need to Clear GRE and TOEFL and For MS in UK and Australian Universities, U need to clear IELTS. These exams are conducted all through the year and U should also get a good score that not just assures you an admission but also Financial assistance.
My Best Wishes,