|Author: Bushra Ismail 01 May 2011 Member Level: Bronze Points : 3 (Rs 2) Voting Score: 0|
Asafoetida is widely used in Indian cooking as you stated. We should remember that most spices are used for its fragrance, and good fragrance is good for the heart.
Uses of asafoetida are.
1. Gives relief to asthma patints.
2. give srelief for hysteria and whooping cough.
3. My grand mother used ti tie it on the hands of the new born babies as she says they will be protected from diseases.
4. Good for bowel disorders, and it is used as suppository in constipation.
5. It is used to disorder of nervous systems.
|Author: Sobha 02 May 2011 Member Level: Gold Points : 2 (Rs 2) Voting Score: 0|
Generally most of the south Indians use hing in their cooking. It not only adds taste to the item but also it has several health benefits.
1. It's very good for women and helps in treating many of the women related problems.
2. Hing is very good for stomach disorders and it cures flatulence and gas problems.
3. It is very good for digestion as well.
4. It's helpful in treating impotency.
5. It even helps in treating nervous disorders in children.
6. Hing helps in treating certain respiratory problems like bronchitis, asthma or whooping cough.
7. It even cures spasmodic disorders.
|Author: Deepika 02 May 2011 Member Level: Silver Points : 4 (Rs 3) Voting Score: 0|
-Mainly used in food to neutralise the acidic effects. Helps in controlling the digestive system and reduces the chances of gastric and acidity problems.
-asafoetida (hing)is used in every digestive churna or tablets to regulate the metabolism and digestive system.
-In case of infants, the hing is dissolved in water and kept on the naval to sooth their digestive disorders, as gastric problem is common in them.
|Author: Praneetha Josyula 19 May 2011 Member Level: Bronze Points : 1 Voting Score: 0|
In south india, it is mainly used for preparing a good smelling dish.
It also has some of the benefits like improving digestive power of the system.
|Author: Pramod Dabholkar 29 Jun 2011 Member Level: Diamond Points : 2 Voting Score: 0|
Hing is one of the essential ingredients of Indian food. As i can read in above responses many has written various points of hing. Here i would like to add one more point into that information.
If we use hing in are food it not allowing to flavors to get mix into each others. By using this we can actually taste the original taste of two different substances.
|Author: Krishnachandran P K 29 Jun 2011 Member Level: Gold Points : 3 Voting Score: 0|
Asafoeitda is used in foods for smell,taste.Apart from this have some medicinal value as mentioned above.I would like to add some point s that it have antimicrobial activity.It means resistance to microbial pathogens.Also it is used in ayurveda for treating VATA(arthritis).It is also used for treating toothache with combination of lemon.