• Category: Hardware

How to remove write-protection from a pen-drive?

Do you want to remove wite protection from your pen drive? Check out the steps to write on a write protected pen drive or CD.

Dear Fellow Members,

I bought a Sony pen-drive and loaded it with some data. When I tried to transfer data from the pen drive to my computer, it did not allow me to do so saying that 'it is write-protected'. One of the designs in Coral 13 was corrupted, as well, and I could not open it. I tried to cut-paste the data from the pen-drive to my PC but to no avail. I tried formatting the pen-drive but again it showed the message that it is write-protected. I even googled for removing the write-protection but could not find anything workable.

Dear friends, can you suggest me a way out of this problem & help me in retrieving the data from the pen-drive or suggest a way to make the pen-drive workable, at least?
  • #87730
    Procedure to follow to remove write protection from Pen drive
    1. Shutdown the computer system
    2. Insert Pen drive into the computer.
    3. Turn on the computer and then immediately start pressing F8 key. Advanced Boot Options screen will appear on the screen.
    4. Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    5. After loading files, suppose, if your Pen drive letter is H , then write as
    6. C:\windows\system32>H: and press enter
    7. H:\>format H: and press enter
    8. Press Y when (Y/N) prompt appears and press enter
    9. This will start full formatting of the pen drive which will remove write protection from the Pen drive.

Madhvee

• #87752
    Madhvee,

It did not work. As soon as I performed the step mentioned by you in # 6, it gave me the following message "It is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

Could you suggest something else?

• #87762
    hi gypsy,
    there are a lot of reasons for the 'write protected' error. They may be due to virus and all. First of all, scan your pen drive using an updated antivirus. If the problem is not solved, try to download a low level format tool. Or else download the format utility from the vendors website and try it. I think 'apacer formatting utility is a better option for you.

"What is important is to keep learning, to enjoy challenge, and to tolerate ambiguity. In the end there are no certain answers."

GOKUL

• #87772
    Other method to format the pen drive is to format it from C drive.
    C:\>Format H: and press enter.

The reason for the command c:/Windows/system32 not being executing in the above method is that Windows environment variables have been disturbed. For this you will need to edit the variable value. The procedure to set up the environment variable is
    1. Right click My computer icon.
    2. Select properties. The system properties window box will open.
    3. Select the Advanced tab and click environment variables button.
    4. At the system variables panel, choose Path and then click the Edit button.
    5. Check whether the value c:/Windows/system32 is present or not in the Path variable. If not, add the variable value followed by semi colon.
    6. Click on OK button.
    7. Restart the computer.

Madhvee

• #87795
    Hello,

Vikas Srivastava sent me a link through private message to 'How to disable write protection from USB Drives?'.

It helped me a lot in removing write-protection from my pen-drive. I am posting the link here to help others know "How to remove write-protection from a pen-drive?" on behalf of Vikas Srivastava. In fact the method suggested in the link was better than formatting of the pen-drive as it saved almost all of the data stored in the pen-drive.

Thank you, Vikas Srivastava.

• #88420
    To format drive successfully open command prompt and type in "format f:/u" (If f is the disk path of your pen drive) This is unconditional formatting. This is way secure and successfull formatting than traditiona format or quick format. And regarding removing write protection please follow the following steps in the link provided below
    Thank you.
    Dr.Shashikanth Vydyula

"Be Responsible Citizen and Follow Rules to Build Beautiful India"

• #88437
    Hello
    @Madhavi

If we use your method then does it format whole pen-driver or format only write protection??

Pankil Agrawal