Ask Experts » Entertainment » Books »

Which are the best Indian novels of 2012?

Date: 18 Nov 2012   Posted By: Bhakti Savla     Group: Entertainment    Category: Books   

I am not an avid book reader. But, I have started reading few books recently. I will like to know which are the best selling or popular Indian books / novels that were released in 2012. My preference is for non-fictional and thought provoking books. Please suggest some good books of 2012.

Want to know about best Indian books in 2012? Learn more about the best fictions and non fictions released in India in the year 2012.

Author: Sukhdev Singh    18 Nov 2012      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 2    Voting Score: 0

Your title of the question is about best Indian novels of 2012. However the description of your question reveals that you are interested in non-fiction. Quite obviously, non-fiction will not be the novels because novels include more of fiction than non-fiction.

Secondly you have not given the preferred language in which you would like to read the books so as the experts can give you specific answers to your query. Kindly state whether you are interested in the books written in English or any other language. Based on the clarification given by you, the members can give their appropriate opinion.

Author: Tulika Devi Nath    18 Nov 2012      Member Level: Gold     Points : 5  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Here I provide a list of popular bestselling novels which are written by Indian writers.

1. Revolution 2020 is one of the most popular novels which is written by eminent Indian writer Chetan Bhagat. This novel contains a very captivating story of three childhood friends Gopal, Raghav and Aarti and their struggle to attain success, love and happiness.

2. Chanakya's Chant is one of the bestselling and popular books which is written by Ashwin Sanghi.

3. Life Is What You Make It another bestselling English book in India. This book has written by Preeti Shenoy. 'Life is what you make it' is an enthralling story of Ankita's life (the good-looking, smart heroine of the novel). This novel contains a few remarkable years of her life. It is thought-provoking story which is able grab the attention of large numbers of readers.

4. I Too Had A Love Story is also a very interesting book which is written by Ravinder Singh. Throughout the story the writer tries to portray a beautiful picture of present generation.

5. Tea For Two And A Piece Of Cake is another popular and bestselling book which is written by Preeti Shenoy. Tea for Two and a Piece of Cake is a captivating and enthralling love-story of Nisha the protagonist of the novel.

Author: Anand    20 Nov 2012      Member Level: Gold     Points : 5  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Books are the main source of gaining knowledge. Books tells about the life, culture, activities and people of a particular place.

Below are some of the books which you may find interesting and useful.
a)The Secret Of The Nagas: Shiva tries to interpret the motives of the Nagas. This is the second book of shiva trilogy.

b)The Resurgence of Satyam: It is written by Zafar Anjum. This book will provide answers about Satyam saga.

c)Myth = Mithya: It explains Hindu traditions and the meaning behind each rituals that are followed by Hindus.

d)Life is What You Make It: This is very interesting book written by Preeti Shenoy. The title itself has good meaning.

Author: Priyanka GRoychoudhury    20 Nov 2012      Member Level: Gold     Points : 8  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

Dear Bhakti,
I believe Chetan Bhagat will be the best to start with (as you are interested in Indian authors). After his 'One Night @ the Call Centre', 'Five Point Someone', 'Three Mistakes of My Life', '2 States', all best sellers, you can surely go for his 'Revolution 2020', a fascinating novel centers around themes like friendship, love, corruption in education system, desire, ambition, clashes of values at a backdrop of historic town of Varanasi in India. The latest by the author is What Young India Wants, a non-fictional depicting current poor condition of our country. Then, if you like thrilling story, then go for 'Chanakya's Chant' by Ashwin Sanghi, a novel on the life of the real Acharya Chanakya (set in 500BC, Alexander's time) and the other, that of a cunning political activist called Gangasagar Mishra (the reincarnation of Chanakya) living in the town of Kanapur in madern day India. The Shiva Trilogy (a set of two books namely 'The Secret of the Nagas' and the 'Immortals of Meluha') by Amish Tripathi can be an interesting start for you. They are refreshing with a new theme like the mythological- fiction, initiating an entirely new genre of Indian novels. Go for these two novels if you love racy adventures, unbelievable revelations, unfolding of mysteries and of course interested in concept of Karma and reincarnation. 'Life is What you Make it' by Preeti Shenoy is a moving tale of a girl fighting back in life against all odds destiny puts at her path. Rashmi Bansal's 'I Have a Dream' is also an inspiring book. I would suggest if you like simple, light, love stories, you can go for Ravinder Singh's 'I Too Had A Love Story'(released in the year 2008). It's the beautiful, emotional portrayal of the author's real life tragic love story. Then,you can read 'Can love happen twice?' the sequel to it, a romantic tale portraying the author's warm welcoming love for the second time in life. If you have a taste for short stories, then you can try 'She Writes: A Collection of Short Stories', a collection of twelve sparkling short stories that celebrates women.

Author: Thiyagarajan    22 Nov 2012      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

There are lot of good books that came out in 2012.
1. Revolution 2020 by Chetan Bhagat is a nice one to start with. You can also read the entire work of Chetan Bhagat.
2. Can love happen twice? by Ravinder Singh is a fantastic novel which is a sequel to I too had a love story. Both these novels beautifully bring put the essence of love.
3. The Krishna key by Ashwin Sanghi beautifully portrays the work of a scientist along with the work of Lord Krishna. Ashwin Sanghi is trying to replicate Dan Brown.
4. Oops I fell in love trilogy by Harsh Snehanshu is another nice novel that came out in 2012.

The novels mentioned above are all written by Indian authors.

Author: Ratan Srikanth    28 Nov 2012      Member Level: Silver     Points : 1    Voting Score: 0

I could like to recommend these three books: 1. 'I Too Had A Love Story' By Ravinder Singh tells us about his love story. 2. 'Can Love happen twice?' by Ravinder Singh. 3. 'I have a dream' by Rashmi Bansal.

Author: Muhammad Haris    01 Dec 2012      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

Here are some best Indian novels of 2012,

1. The Secret of the Nagas

2. Revolution 2020

3. The Emperor Of All Maladies

4. The Krishna key

5. Life Is what you make it

6. I have a dream

7. Chanakya chant

Author: BooksIndia    02 Dec 2012      Member Level: Bronze     Points : 3  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

I read and review books on regular basis. As 2012 is ending I give you the list of must read books and top 5 books of 2012.

1. The Secret of the Nagas by Amish Tripathi

2. How I braved Anu Aunty by Varun Aggarwal

3. That's the way we met by Sudeep Nagarkar

4. Can love happen twice? by Ravinder Singh

5. The Krishna key by Ashwin Sanghi

Author: Tech Boy    06 Dec 2012      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3    Voting Score: 0

Dear friend,
From some past years, India has proved that it is also at the best in having the novel writers as well as the novels. Since the novel writing began, India has tried its best to go on the top ranks of novel writing in the world. Some great novels from India are:

1. The Inscrutable Americans by Anurag Mathur.

2. Five Point Someone by Chetan Bhagat.

3. States: The Story of My Marriage also by Chetan Bhagat.

4. The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga.

5. Between the Assasinations also by Aravind. Adiga.

6. Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie .

7. The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri.

8. The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy.

9. The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni.

10. A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth.

Author: Vivek Chalotra    12 Dec 2012      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2    Voting Score: 0

Hi there please see the list below:
1. The Emperor Of All Maladies: A Biography Of Cancer
2. I Have A Dream
3. Word Power Made Easy
4. Chanakya's Chant
5. The Immortals Of Meluha
6. I Too Had A Love Story
7. The Secret Of The Nagas
8. Steve Jobs: The Exclusive Biography
9. Life Is What You Make It
10. Revolution 2020

Author: HIMANSHU KHANNA    16 Dec 2012      Member Level: Bronze     Points : 2    Voting Score: 0

Hello Bhakti,

I am an Entrepreneur and a reader who like to read books as a stress busters. There is one such book which I personally liked and would like to recommend it to you. Its " How I Braved Anu Aunty and Co-Founded a Million Dollar Company" by Varun Aggarwal. If you are a budding Entrepreneur and wants solution to all your queries, then this is a good option. Well written and Interesting story.

Author: Neha    21 Dec 2012      Member Level: Gold     Points : 1    Voting Score: 0

Apart from all the other books mentioned above I would like to suggest a book by Anupam Kher which got some very interesting reviews "The Best Thing About You is You!"

Happy Reading!