1. MyMorph which is free but requires registration to use. It can convert apart from TIFF format many other formats like DIF,HTML, MCW, PDF, PPT, PRE, RTF, TTF, TXT, WK1, WK3, WPD, WQ1, GIF, ICO, JPEG, JP2,PIX, PNG, PNM, PPM, PSD, RAS, SUN, SVG, WBMP, XBM etc into text form.
2. FreeOCR: This free OCR software uses the Tesseract OCR engine whose code was developed at HP Labs between 1985 and 1995 and is currently with Google. It is one of the most accurate open source OCR engines and requires Microsoft Net 2.0 framework on windows platform.
Some other freewares are:
1. Simple OCR.
2. Free online converter http://www.newocr.com/
You can google for these softwares and download any of them. Upon installing the software, run it and input your tiff file to get the text output. You can read the instructions for using these software. Also you can try the online website if you feel.
You said an TIF image which has French Script MT font.
By saying this it involves two things at a time.
1. Convert Image to Text format.
2. The text should be read in French Script MT font.
The first point is simple. Yes, a converter can convert images to text, if it is "programed to convert" a image file to a text file.
The second point is the tricky one. The converted text will be read properly only and only if you have French Script MT font installed on your system.
If you do not have this font on your system, then even if you use the best converter, you will not be able to read the Text file.
Thus, first find if your system has this font installed and then if installed then convert your TIF image file to text.
With Warm Regards