Ask Experts » Health » Nutrition »

What is the Best way to increase our 'HEIGHT'?

Date: 20 Apr 2009   Group: Health    Category: Nutrition   

Please tell me how to increase my height.

Author: Harish Jharia    20 Apr 2009      Member Level: Gold     Points : 8  (Rs 8)    Voting Score: 2

Hello Vinod Sidhana,

Increasing height of anyone is not like putting on weight or losing weight. It is not like curing any ailment with the help of medicine, therapy or injections.

Your height depends on your bone structure from your head to sole. Your flesh, muscles and other constituents are just covering your bone structure. As long as the bone structure doesn’t stretch in length, the question of any increase in your height doesn’t arise.

I do not want to discourage you from making efforts in your life to achieve something worthwhile. My aim is to alert you against getting exploited by many commercial bodies that claim to have medicines and therapies for increasing height. They eat away your money, energy and leave you disheartened and disillusioned with your life.

You should not even get misguided by advertisements on TV and print media about height gaining health drinks, herbs or medicines or any exercising package.

If you have crossed 19 / 21 years of age then accept your present height with grace and be proud of your persona you possess. Don’t waste time, energy and money on any commercial height gaining packages.

You keep growing taller as your age increases from late childhood to adolescence and to youth. This is the best time when you can make efforts for gaining your optimum height that depends on your genetic qualities.

In fact, you can only add-on to your growing height… a sort of supplement to the processes of gaining height. Nevertheless, it is not going to do any miracle. The following is what you can do between 9 to 19 years of age (some schools of thoughts say the maximum age limit is 21):

1. You must take milk at least once a day… better in the morning
2. You must take rich, nutritious, and healthy diet
3. Take plenty of fruits including the local seasonal fruits
4. Take plenty of salads
5. Do not go for dieting or diet control
6. Avoid junk food like pizza, burger, and soft drinks
7. Keep away from bad company and alcoholic drinks / smoking
8. Do stretching exercise for min 15 minutes
9. Surya namaskar would add to your mission if you know how to do
10. Go for 45 minutes fast running (it is a must for you)
11. Play games like football, hockey and basketball
12. Maintain quick reflexes and don’t be lazy in day-to-day life

All the very best for a successful getting-tall mission

Harish Jharia
“Do we have a child within us…?”
21 April 2009

Author: Puneet Verma    20 Apr 2009      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Nice post by you Harish but I've heard that after 21 age 24 is the last limit till which our height grows very slowly and we can increase the rate between that period. Have your say on it?
Also I am 21 now with 5'7, can you please guide me what to do to increase height?

Don't refer me to drink or take protein or other supplements or any healthy diet because I've already got the perfect shape and body. I am a regular gymmer, so I am into muscles and taking good diet.

Can anyone guide me on excercises? I regularly do chin ups. No effect!! :(

I was thin in the beginning and after I joined gym I gained lots of mass and body but couldn't gain height. I hope someone understand what I mean to say?

Even thoough I am satisfied with what I have but still I want to be tall.

Author: Harish Jharia    21 Apr 2009      Member Level: Gold     Points : 5    Voting Score: 0

Hello Puneet Verma,

Thanks for reading my answer and appreciating the same.

As I have written in my answer our height depends on our genetic characteristics and the natural size of our bone structure that grows until 19 / 21. You have asked whether growing prolongs until 24; for that I can say even I am not convinced with the limit of 21 years as some schools of thoughts believe.

You may visit Encyclopedia Britannica Site for detailed authentic information on the right age limit for growth.

Your height (5’ 7”) is a good height as far as a normal Indian’s height is concerned. A young man with this height would look quite impressive if he maintains proper posture and wears a suitable dress.

For that you may like to follow the practice given below:

• Don’t stand on one leg. Distribute your weight on both of your legs while standing.

• Keep your backbone / spine in as vertical as possible. (within your comfort zone… don’t overdo)

• Don’t wear loose hanging pants below your belly-button level. Get pants that fit right at this button thereby the length of your pant will increase by 1” approx and your perspective height will add up.

• Always select a combination of darker pant + lighter shirt. (vertical stripes, if possible, would be better)

• Use shoes or other footwear with 1” (not more than 1”)heel that will elevate your height by 1” and will help in keeping your body upright.

I talked about stretching exercises in my previous posting. There are many such exercises that will be advised by your gym instructor.

Nevertheless, I have found ‘Surya Namaskar’ the best possible exercise that is done in the morning after you wakeup from your sleep and your body remains so very adoptive to exercises.

These exercises will help you in straightening your legs and spine thereby adding on to some extent to your resultant / perspective height.

You may watch a demo of Surya Namaskar via the following link:
“Surya Namaskar”

Harish Jharia
“Do we have a child within us…?”
21 April 2009

Author: riaz    15 Jun 2009      Member Level: Bronze     Points : 0    Voting Score: -1

1)EAT PROTEIN RICH FOOD
2)GO FOR SWIMMING AND CYCLING. IT REALLY HELPS

Answers      

Post answer or solution to "What is the Best way to increase our 'HEIGHT'?"

You can earn revenue online from Google AdSense and our revenue sharing programs by post valid, self written answers for the problem What is the Best way to increase our 'HEIGHT'?

Next Question: How can I control my blood sugar?
Previous Question: Any cure for Asthma