How to Open & Run Microsoft VHD Files on VirtualBox? [Step by Step]
Date: 07 May 2013 Posted By:
I want to know how to open and run the microsoft VHD files on the Oracle VirtualBox and how to use the pre-installed VHD images on the Oracle VirtualBox. Do I requires any ISO or other files for executing the microsoft VHD files on the Oracle Virtual Box which is running on my windows 7? Please provide me the step by step instructions with the screen shots.
Do you want to know how to open and run Microsoft VHD files on VirtualBox? Learn more about the steps to open and run Microsoft VHD files on VirtualBox here.
and make money!
View All Answers:
14 Jun 2013 Member Level:
Points : 6 (
First of all let me tell you that VHD files are "Virtual Hard Disk/Drive" files use to store operating systems and other stuff that can be carried form one computer to another and use anywhere without re-configuration. Thus it does not require any additional ISO files to configure or run, except the tool that can mount it as physical hard drive (Obviously to access the data in it).
Now as you are using oracle "Virtual Box" on your windows 7 and need to import VHD file in it, you need to provide a virtual machine that will treat this VHD file as physical hard drive. If you are having any operating system stored on it it will be booted automatically otherwise you need to install another operating system on virtual machine and attach this VHD to it as additional disk.
Now if you are having any OS on it then follow these steps:(Easy even without "Screen Shots")
1. Open virtual box
2. Create new machine with tool-bar button or from menu "machine=>New"
3. Type name of your operating system (already present on VHD file) and Identify the type (like windows XP, windows 7, Ububntu, etc.)
4. Select appropriate memory size
5. Now in hard drive selection menu choose option as "Use existing hard drive file" and give a path to your VHD file.
6. Now run your virtual machine and you will boot with your operating system.
If you are not having any OS on it then follow these steps:(Easy even without "Screen Shots")
1. Create a new virtual machine or seek for an existing one.
2. After creation of virtual machine, don't run it just go to settings of it. To go to settings use right click of your mouse.
3. Go to storage, add new "SATA CONTROLLER" and provide a path to your VHD file.
4. Now boot your machine.
Post answer or solution to "How to Open & Run Microsoft VHD Files on VirtualBox? [Step by Step]"
from Google AdSense and our revenue sharing programs by posting valid answers for this question.
to post a response.
What is command to delete all records in database?
How to get Pen Drive Driver for Windows98?
Is .NET a language or a Platform?
How to develop the C program using pseudo code.
How can a *.gp5 file be opened?
What is the better way of unix shell scripting?
Boot loader problem
How to create a .con file on desktop?
What is a Digital Signature?
Return to Question Index
Ask Question to Experts
Subscribe to Email
Get Jobs by Email
Forum posts by Email
Articles by Email
Awards & Gifts
j r kumar
Last 7 Days
Hafeezur Rahman P
ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. Copyright © All Rights Reserved.