Ask Experts » Career Guidance » IT jobs »

Confused about my career path: marketing automation or Programming ?

Date: 26 Nov 2015   Posted By: zktest     Group: Career Guidance    Category: IT jobs   

I working for 2.6 years in marketing automation Eloqua and my salary is 55K work from home. But I am interested in making a career in Java/Android programming. I know that I will be paid less if I move out from this field to programming. But I am a little doubtful about its future.
My Questions
1. Will I be able to make a career in programming ?
2. Any idea like what would be my approximate pay ?
Experts: do resolve my query.

Want to make a career in programming? wondering whether it is worth it? Find responses to your query on this page.

Author: Mahesh    27 Nov 2015      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

I think you should continue with the Marketing automation and if you are unsecure about the position and work. Maybe moving onto more management position or the product management in marketing can be a good option. As programming jobs take time to settle in. For example first 3 years you have to spend a lot of time and energy to establish yourself.

Anyone can make career in programming if they work hard and climb the ladder in company. There is nothing that stops you from doing that. However first few years you have to struggle on lowers salary. If you don't get placed in MNC then small companies don't pay much salary to programmers due to their own lower income. You can expect salary as low as 5K or 10K in earlier years if worked with small company. If you get medium scale then salary starts from 18K to 45k onwards.

MNC companies start with minimum 30K/month and then pay increases upto 36L per year. Then again it takes time to see this. Also your experience being in marketing automation, you have to work on programming skills as a fresher so it'll take time.

Author: [Anonymous]    27 Nov 2015      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Change in main stream is not a good idea at this stage.
You are getting good means you are doing good.

Marketing and programming are completely different fields and one has to think twice before switching from one to another.

If you decide to shift your career line from marketing to programming, you will need to start from origin. This may include some course also.
Even after that, there is no guarantee that you will get a job in highly reputed and decent paying MNCs.

The better option is you may try to divert your working area in the same company which is possible with some efforts. As your working there are 2.6 years and they are paying you good, means they trust you.
You can try to work in other sectors with special request. This will give you an opportunity to judge your own compatibility with other sectors as well as you will need not to leave your current job.