Ask Experts » Computers » Security »

What are the conflict issues of keeping both Windows firewall and vendor security software

Date: 01 Dec 2015   Posted By: Venkiteswaran.     Group: Computers    Category: Security   

While I was checking for some inbuilt solutions in my desktop PC, I came to the security and maintenance menu. Here under sub menu 'virus protection' and 'spyware and unwanted software protection' I found the remark that "Windows defender and ( vendor software name)security are turned on. Note that turning more than one anti-virus app/anti-spyware app at a time may cause your PC to run slowly.
I have a vendor software and windows firewall turned on. Shall I continue like that or should I put off one of them? If so what about security?
Awaiting advice from experts.

Wondering about the conflicts between Windows firewall and vendor specific security software? Find responses from experts on this page.

Author: Mahesh    02 Dec 2015      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

Never keep two security programs running at the same time. This leads to data corruption and also security issues. For example if some of the programs are blacklisted in your vendor software however if Windows firewall and defender whitelists it then such deadlock leads to corruption in network socket. It hurts your operating system. And regular corruption of sockets may lead to network drivers not functioning. Another instance is some of the website or the programs won't be usable if the conflict is on regular basis. If you want to use antivirus program on your computer then either use Windows offered service or the vendor software. Using two doesn't make sense. And using two at the same time doesn't help your computer either. I'd say discontinue Windows firewall and instead use the vendor software firewall and antivirus.

Author: saket kumar    13 Jun 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

Hello friends,
Keeping the more than one antivirus in the computer system cause the slow working of the computer system because a antivirus use a lot of RAM space that use the slow of the computer. One or more than one antivirus can fight each other to delete the virus and also they try to kill each other . For my suggestion you will use only one anti virus in one computer system.

Saket singh
Everyday learner