|Author: nitish 04 Dec 2015 Member Level: Bronze Points : 8 (Rs 8) Voting Score: 0|
WHAT IS DRY ICE?
what we have learned from the science , which most of us knows that there exists three states of matter. 1. solid 2. gas 3 liquid.
DRY ICE is the first form of matter , that is solid , and the chemical formula of it is CO2. yes carbon dioxide. we know it is a gas because when we visualize it , we make images of a gas, smoke etc. but we shouldn't forget that the temperature where we visualize CO2 as a gas is much higher. thus, if we reduced the temperature of the gas at its freezing point it becomes solid. which is dry ice.
HOW IT IS DIFFERENT FROM NORMAL ICE?
normal ice is formed when temperature reduced , and here the different matter will change its state which , we all know, is water. at its freezing point ,0 degree Celsius, water change to solid ice. so , these both ice are different from each other by their chemical composition
PROCESS OF MANUFACTURING THE DRY ICE
1. Firstly CO2 gas is pressurized until it go to the liquid state.
2. After a sudden expansion is done by which the pressure gets lower.
3. Now we have lower pressure, naturally some liquid CO2 will get vaporized.
4. By vaporization, heat of the liquid reduced to very much extent.
5. it results solidification of CO2.
PROPERTY OF DRY ICE
1. It is slightly acidic in nature, so it turns blue litmus paper to red.
2. It is non inflammable in nature (doesn't support combustion)
3. It can not conduct heat and electricity.
4. Dry ice is non toxic and bacteriostaic, support growth and reproduction of bacteria.
USAGE OF DRY ICE
1. Used in food industry for preservation of perishable items and carbonate liquids.
2. Cosmetic surgeons used it to freeze warts for easy removal.
3. It is also used to preserved biological samples.
LEADING MANUFACTURER OF DRY ICE IN INDIA
1. Bosco India
2. Ezzi enterprise
3. De-luxe trade company
COST- its range lies between 70-200 rupees per pound.
|Author: Partha Kansabanik 04 Dec 2015 Member Level: Diamond Points : 2 (Rs 2) Voting Score: 0|
Dry ice is solidified Carbon dioxide (CO2). It is prepared by compression, thereafter sudden expansion and then vaporisation of CO2 (in gaseous state). Dry ice is mainly used as preservatives. It is used for preservation of perishable food items. Sometimes,dry ice is also used in Bio labs for preserving samples.
The Indian manufacturers of dry ice are Bosco, Vadodara, Ezzi,Secundrabad, Niketa, Mumbai and Deluxe, Pune.