Ask Experts » Computers » Hardware »

HDD is not getting detected by the pc

Date: 03 Dec 2015   Posted By: mith     Group: Computers    Category: Hardware   

For a week now my PC is not detecting my Transcend external HDD. I have tried to connect it in all the USB ports but it is not detected. I am able to connect my pen drive and phone and they are detected. I tried connecting with another HDD, Seagate 500GB Even this is not detected. Can anyone please help me and tell me what is the problem? What could be possibly done to get rid of this problem? Awaiting responses from experts.

Having a problem with HDD? wondering how to resolve a connectivity issue? Experts will resolve your query on this page.

Author: Mahesh    04 Dec 2015      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

It seems the BIOS has stopped detecting the HDD for some odd reason. I suggest you to remove the HDD and take it to friend or family member who has another desktop computer. Now connect this HDD to their computer and see if it detects or not. If it gets detected then the problem is not the HDD. If it doesn't get detected then the problem is with HDD and you have to send it to the HDD manufacturer company. The chances could be with the cable or the boot sector of the HDD getting damaged. You have to call the service engineer and maybe they can fix the stuff for you.

Author: Krishna Teja Yeluripati    03 Jun 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

The fault may be in:
1) Computer : Check your external hard disk by using another computer. If the problem persists, it is not a fault in your computer but a fault in your hard disk.
2) Hard Disk : External hard disks are provided with some drivers when you buy them. If by any chance, you formatted the hard disk thereby leading to deletion of drivers. This is the problem I once encountered with my Seagate 1TB external hard disk.
To solve this issue:
i) Go to 'control panel' and then to 'devices and printers'. There, you can see your device also in the list but with an error symbol.
ii) Right click on your device and click 'troubleshoot'. If the drivers required are present in your computer, they will be installed and your device will be recognized. Otherwise, your computer tries to get the drivers from the internet and your device will be recognized if there is a good internet connection.

Hope this answer helps to solve your problem.