Ask Experts » Lawyers » Indian Law »

Can legally a will be made in favor of a foreign citizen?

Date: 10 Dec 2015   Posted By: Kailash Kumar     Group: Lawyers    Category: Indian Law   

I have property in India. I want to make a will in favor of my grand daughter who is a US citizen by birth. What are the legal provisions under the Indian law in this regard? Can a foreign citizen be made beneficiary of immovable property under will? Awaiting resolution of this query from experts.

Searching for information about making a US citizen beneficiary in an Indian will? find responses from experts here.

Author: Mahesh    14 Dec 2015      Member Level: Gold     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

If the person is related in blood relation or marital relation then the will can be made. For example, many families these days have grandkids in another country. And we can definitely have the will made on their name. Considering the inheritance law for the blood relatives it is definitely possible to have such transfer of property and other legal will benefits.

Author: hemant    18 Dec 2015      Member Level: Silver     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

While making will nationality is of negligible concern, the person related or not related can be favored in will, also immovable property can be given to any foreign nation if blood related.

Post Answer

You must Sign In to post a response.

Post Answer        

Related Questions
  • Return to Question Index
  • Ask Question to Experts

  • Awards & Gifts
    Top Contributors
    TodayLast 7 Daysmore...

    Online Members

    Asha Kurian
    ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. © All Rights Reserved.