Ask Experts » Cities and Places » Services »

Ashrams in India with Ashtanga Yoga sessions

Date: 13 Dec 2015   Posted By: Tobie Kuritsky     Group: Cities and Places    Category: Services   

After having been to India (and Nepal) many times for trekking, I feel the need to make my next trip different. I have been practicing ashtanga yoga for several years, and as I get on in years I feel that my 'inner calm' (for lack of a less fashionable expression) increases naturally and I relate more and more strongly with the breathing and meditation exercises too.

I would love to spend a week or two at an ashram in India, somewhere low-profile (like me), where I could just fit myself into the daily routine of yoga, meditation, 'giving back' (i.e. an hour or two daily of work at the ashram), simple meals, etc.

My preferences would be:
1) an ashram where they do ashtanga yoga or some other physical sort of yoga
2) an ashram where there is also some free time during the day
3) an ashram where both locals and foreigners stay

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Searching for ashrams in India where Ashtanga Yoga sessions are conducted? Check out the list of ashrams provided in the responses below.

Author: Kailash Kumar    14 Dec 2015      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 2

Some of the institutes which can be contacted for the intended purpose are as follows -
1. Shri K Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute,
No. 235, 8th Cross, 3rd Stage, Gokulam, Mysore 570002
Karnataka, Ph: 0988-0185-500, email: shala@kpjayi.org
2. The Yoga Institute, Shri Yogendra Marg, Prabhat Colony,
Santacruz East, Mumbai – 400055,
Ph: 022-26122185 / 022-26110506
Fax: 022-26631902
Email: info@theyogainstitute.org
3. Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga
New Delhi, 8, Ashoka Road, Near Gole Dak Khana, New Delhi -110001,
Ph: 011-23730417, 23730418, 23351099, 23721472
Email: Mdniy@yahoo.co.in
There are many more which can be located by google search. Concerted efforts may be made by contacting all such institutes by sending them emails and talking on phone till success is achieved.

Author: Ajesh Kumar    16 Dec 2015      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

You have two aspects in your query.
1. A place where Ashtanga Yoga is taught
2. The place should be low profile, giving you some time for yourself.

I would like to suggest you Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Center, Trivandrum. This center offers many courses in Yoga and Meditation. They have courses suitable for Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced practitioner.

This particular group follows the ancient discipline of yoga asanas as taught by founder Sri Swami Vishnudevananda who is considered as one of the foremost disciples of Sri Swami Sivananda of Rishikesh.

Swami Sivananda is one of the greatest yoga masters of twentieth-century India.
The Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre is a part of the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centres (ISYVC).

The International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centres were founded in 1959 by Swami Vishnudevananda, disciple of H.H. Swami Sivananda.

The Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Dhanwantari Ashram is set in the foothills of Kerala's Western Ghats. You will enjoy the natural beauty of Neyyar Dam, the forested surroundings, the cool green coconut tree groves and colorful flower-filled views, all offer an ideal atmosphere for the practice of yoga and meditation.