Ask Experts » Opinion About » Electronic Items »

Best feature phones for my parents

Date: 27 Dec 2015   Posted By: Kranthi Kumar (K K)     Group: Opinion About    Category: Electronic Items   

I would like to purchase a new mobile phone for my parents. I have shortlisted the following mobile phones:
Nokia 220
Nokia 222
Nokia 215
Nokia 225

Features I look for in the new mobile considering their usage:
Best Voice Quality (Both sides)
Good Keypad (Durable)
Phone Book, Easy Navigation
Easy Call History tracking. (Usually they go to history and dial us before they search in phone book).

Please suggest me any other good phones besides the above shortlisted phones. I'm open to other branded mobiles as well. Prefer Samsung and LG in the next place.

Looking for good quality feature phones for your parents? Check out the advice & suggestions provided at this Ask Expert page.

Author: Partha Kansabanik    28 Dec 2015      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

The selection of mobile phones for elderly persons depend upon their confidence and previous experience of using mobile, their age and various other factors. Generally speaking, a easy to handle push-button type cellphone with very few applications would serve the purpose of elderly persons. However, basic features of the phone must be patiently explained to them. They must be requested to use the basic features in your presence. This is necessary for their confidence.

Author: Mahesh    28 Dec 2015      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Nokia 230 has some good specification and screen size. It also has support for bigger font and numbers on screen. It has decent call log size. And it can retain large number of contacts into the phone.

Nokia 222 is another device that is equally capable of meeting your requirements. It has some decent screen size and sound. I'd avoid using Nokia 215 and 220, as those are going to be out of support early 2017. Instead you should go for models above Nokia 225.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    29 Dec 2015      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

The selection of feature phone especially Nokia models for the elderly people is always advantageous because of the following following points-
1) These mobile phones are quite handy and sleek in design.
2) Prices have gone down to a very low level now a days for such feature phones.
3) The elderly people tend to be forgetful because of advanced ages and as such its low price would mitigate the loss.
4) The senior people are tuned to press the button of the mobile and they remain comfortable with the possession of such feature phones.
5)Sound and response level of all the models as indicated by you are quite awesome.
You may opt either Nokia 222 or Nokia 225 because of durability and Easy Navigation.
Samsung brands are also quite affordable because of the same being available at cheaper range.

Author: T.Krishnamoorthy    29 Dec 2015      Member Level: Gold     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

I think Lava is the best choice for your parents. These are cheaper and give good voice quality. In addition to that it is easy to operate from all sides. You can get around 1000/- - 1500/- with colour display with all basic features. Nokia is almost exited from the market.

Author: Kranthi Kumar (K K)    29 Dec 2015      Member Level: Gold     Points : 0    Voting Score: 0

Thanks for your valuable suggestions so far..

@Sheo Shankar Jha,
Do you suggest any specific model numbers from Samsung ?
@T.Krishnamoorthy,
Do you suggest any specific model numbers from LAVA? Earlier, I stick to Nokia and Samsung or LG because of their durability and smart look in their hands.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    31 Dec 2015      Member Level: Gold     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

Dear Kranthi Kumar,
You may try Samsung Metro B 312 E and its cost is as low as 1800. You would like its voice clarity apart from its distortion free service.

Author: Thomas Jose    05 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

Considering the fact that servicing facilities of the models below 220 will be stopped by 2017, both 215 and 220 get removed from the list. From the remaining two I would suggest 222 as it keypad is bulging outward separately, making it easier to recognize the numbers. But if you parents are able to read the content in screen without much difficulty, 225 will be better as its bigger screen will help them in viewing the text.