Ask Experts » Health » Beauty »

Remedy for effects of swimming on hair and skin

Date: 31 Dec 2015   Posted By: Aswini     Group: Health    Category: Beauty   

I recently joined swimming. I feel so relaxed after swimming and my body has already started toning up. But the worst part is skin tan and roughness of hair. My skin complexion is dark and is prone to acne. Due to swimming it has developed a tan and become even dark. My hair length is medium. I use swim cap but its gets wet and the hair becomes rough. It used to be so smooth and silky. I use aloe vera gel for skin before entering the pool and take a shower immediately after I come out of the pool and I use red sandal soap still my skin became dark. Can anyone tell me what I should do to avoid skin tan and protect my hair?
Experts: do suggest some solution.

Are you swimming regularly? Wondering how to protect skin and hair? Find suggestions from experts on this page.

Author: Mahesh    01 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

If you're swimming in river or the water reserves, then most likely you're not going to have any chemical reaction on hair. At the most your skin will have some fungus or some other bacteria issues or most likely issues with the hygiene.

However if you swim only into chlorine water of the swimming tank, in such case there are many small issues. For example your body will have issues with the chlorine on your eyes. You may feel a bit irritating at some point. Also your hair may start to fall unusually. So limited amount of time should be spent into the water that has chlorine in it.

Author: Sunita    01 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

Aswini, do you go for a swim when the sun is still bright in the sky? If possible try going for swimming after sunset or in an indoor pool. Apply coconut oil to your hair and body before swimming. Before entering the pool wet yourself under the shower. This will close your pores and not let the chlorine water damage your skin, at least it will help to some extent.

After you are done with swimming take a shower and do not forget to wash your hair. Use a mild shampoo and NEVER forget to use a conditioner. Instead of a soap use a body wash , soap has a drying effect on the skin and apply body lotion after each shower.

For your tanning problem there are anti tan lotions and anti tan packs available nowadays. As your skin is acne prone maybe you can consult a skin specialist for a lotion or cream which you can use for your face before and after swimming.

Swimming is indeed relaxing. Happy swimming.

Author: Venkiteswaran.    01 Jan 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 6  (Rs 6)    Voting Score: 0

I presume you are swimming in a swimming pool. Usually certain chemicals like copper sulphate(forgetting the bluish green colour) and bleaching powder or chlorine water(for some sterilisation) are added to the swimming pool water. At some places the water may be hard with more dissolved salt as the water is not treated to make it soft.

When one who is not accustomed to hard water or chlorinated water spend more time in swimming in that pool, there is a chance that the superficial skin may get the slight effect of the chemicals added or already existing dissolved. The harmful effects are compounded when also uses soaps and oils and lotions which also contain harsh chemicals.

To avoid this one should spend only optimum time in the pool. One should immediately take bath with normal water.

One should use only neutral soaps for bathing . A thin layer of coconut oil may be applied to skin immediately after bathing to keep it moist. Alternatively sufficient oil may be applied to skin before bathing, but do not use too much soap to wash away all oil. During winter and summer when one is prone to have dry skin some additional measures also should be taken applying natural moisturisers like milk, cucumber etc or some popular branded mositurisers.One should not shampoo hair frequently, and when shampooing use only natural shampoo items like shikakai, Bengal gram or green gram flour. One should apply to hair, oil traditionally used in that geographical area before taking bath once in a week at least and every time after taking bath. Pure coconut oil also can be used.

If hair fall or greying is observed then the traditional medicated Ayurvedic hair oils like "Neelibhringaadi" or "Kuntala kaanthi" may be used. If the negative effects are more and fast and other users also feel so, the water should be tested by the authorities for excess chemicals and remedial steps to be taken.

Author: Vin    01 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

Skin tanning has become quite common these days due to various factors like pollution,radiations from the sun etc.,
I think using medicines for such reasons is not that required .In order to reduce tanning certain home remedies if followed may show results. Some tips are follows
1. Use GARNIER whitening cream and face wash for at least two weeks I hope you can see the difference yourself.
2. Use homemade face packs of besan, honey, milk, yogourt etc..
3. Applying tomatoes also helps in reduction of skin tan.
4. Lemon, cucumber and rose water also when used as packs shows great results.
5. There are so many fruits whose peel or paste when applied on face removes tanning and gives a healthy and clear face.

For hair loss use Aavanakk oil. But i my opinion make this oil in home itself using the leaf of that plant if available. Sometimes oils buy from shop will not give you good result.

Author: Aswini    01 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 0    Voting Score: 0

Thank you all for your suggestions.