Ask Experts » Science and Technology » Technology »

How to learn Computer Programming?

Date: 02 Jan 2016   Posted By: Sunil     Group: Science and Technology    Category: Technology   

Nowadays I am getting interested in learning about programming. I want to learn programming to create some software and websites. I am an absolute beginner. I do not have any knowledge in programming. I want to start from scratch.

Can anyone please help me on this subject? Please tell me what I have to do to learn programming from the very basic as ABC. Kindly suggest me some sites where I can learn programming for free, from the absolute beginning, just as a layman. Thank You.

Want to know the sites to learn computer programming for free? Get the expert opinion here.

Author: [Anonymous]    04 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

Since you are a beginner in programming, I would suggest you to go for learning the 'C' language first. For this, you can take any standard book on 'C' language like 'Let Us C' by Yashwant Kanetkar or 'The C Programming Language' by Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan. If you get hold on 'C' language, it is very easy to learn other languages. You can download 'Turbo C' compiler or Microsoft Visual Studio on the Windows machine for the development environment or you can use 'gcc' compiler for Linux machine. In order to have the Linux environment on Windows machine, you can use Cygwin installer. Otherwise, there are many websites available on the internet for learning 'C' language. They mention all the step by step procedures to create an environment to write programs and learn the language.

If you want to learn a language for website development, you can start with HTML and CSS(CSS is not a language but it is used to style your web pages) and later you can go for Java script and PHP. You can visit w3schools.com website to learn all these languages.

Author: RAJAN    05 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Since you are a beginner in programming, I would suggest you to go for learning the basic programming language such as C. I am suggest you to learn spoken tutorial classes for better results. For that you may go to site spoken tutorial. This site provides tutorial of all programming language. You only need to select create my own disc for spoken tutorial menu, you can choose all levels and it is available in various language.

Author: Mahesh    05 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 6  (Rs 6)    Voting Score: 0

I have personally used online resources to make myself comfortable with the languages like Ruby and Python. Codecademy is one good resource that teaches you how to code. You can also learn a lot of small things along the way. It reaches you some best practices for coding. Another resource is Lynda and Pluralsight. Both are paid sources to learn programming.

If you're not sure on payments, then learn things for free from Youtube. Most of the videos on YouTube teach you quality stuff. And you don't have to enroll yourself to any specific place to learn stuff.

For example, Learn Ruby syntax and programming from video such as this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dji9ALCgfpM

If you are into quality assurance and wish to learn Selenium WebDriver then you may want to check this video: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUY1lsOTtPeLPAkMpl8EFIDqWgv1QTXST

There are countless videos on youtube and you can learn stuff for free. So it's upto you to make a start. Once you start to learn then things can be learned along the way.

Author: Mahesh Bhandari    06 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 6  (Rs 6)    Voting Score: 0

If you are interested to learn Web development programming to create websites, you can start with HTML, CSS and Javascript. HTML is the basic language, so you need to learn HTML first. There are plenty of tutorials available online. You can learn these languages from various sites like codecademy, w3shools and so on. Learning web programming is easy.

If you want to learn programming for software development, you can start with C and go on to other languages. Learning such languages is little difficult as very less tutorials are available online. You may need to use reference books as well to learn these programming languages. Have a look at cprogramming.com. If you can understand the tutorials, you can learn from this site.

While learning programming, the first and foremost thing is patience. Programming is not the thing you can learn in a day or a week. It takes a lot of time to learn programming. Learn only two to three topics per day and practice more. Practice and learn one to two new techniques regularly. Regular practice is essential to be a good programmer.

Author: [Anonymous]    07 Jan 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

It is really good to have curiosity to learn new things.
Being a beginner, you should start with getting basic idea about computer languages and their specific applications.
All these basic information are available on internet.
Then you can select any language according to your interest and can search option for learning.

If you really want to learn and apply it in future, I would suggest you to go for some course or certification because that will give you some organized knowledge about the same.
General studies are nothing about gathering knowledge which may not last for long.
There are many centers having facility of short term classes for computer languages and they also provide certificates at the end.
This will also help you in career as it will add some value on your professional profile.

Author: Manoj Kumar Lamba    07 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

To understand programming languages, first you should know about the basics of computer. Then you should learn about the basics of a programming language, as most of the programming languages have same basic concepts. To start with you can learn 'C' programming basics, which help you in learning other programming languages like C++ and java.

Author: Bhushan    14 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Mr. Sunil

1) What is your age and educational Qualification that you haven't mentioned

2) Do you have any background in Computers .

3) There are so many websites. www.w3schools.com is a perfect website for fresh level or Entry level learners.

4) Apart from learning from websites you can go for coaching so that they will trained you with Tips and Tricks.

5) You have to do lot of Practice at your Home.

Author: Krishna Teja Yeluripati    23 May 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Hello,
You said you are interested in programming but you did not mention what kind of (for creating apps etc,.) and for what (for studies, for fun etc,.).

If you want to learn programming for your academics, you should follow some popular textbooks. On the other hand, if you want to learn programming for fun, start with C programming. It is the simplest programming language. Many C Compilers are available for free in the internet. If you learn C Programming properly, you can learn C++ and Java (some of it as Java is too big) very easily.

But if you want to learn programming to create android apps, you need to have basics of XML and some grip on Core Java. To get these, you should learn C and basics of HTML first.

For tutorials on different programming languages, view the youtube channel 'thenewboston'. In this channel, tutorials are there for C, C++, Java, HTML and many other programming languages.

Hope you got what you need in this answer.

Krishna Teja Yeluripati.

Author: DEEPANKAR DAS    09 Jul 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

You can learn about c programming language. It is a mid-level language. Then you learn about c++, java, oracle,HTML etc.
You should join in a govt. or private computer training institute.
You can follow the website www.cprogramming.com