Ask Experts » Education » Professional Courses »

Query about distance learning degree

Date: 04 Jan 2016   Posted By: chiranjeevi     Group: Education    Category: Professional Courses   

I have finished my 10th at 2007 and had a three year break and then completed my Diploma in E&C stream in 2013. T joined a regular degree course in the same year, but was not able to complete it. Now I am working as a junior systems engineer in an IT company. I am thinking of pursuing a distance education course for completing my degree.
Will it help me to become successful in my career? Will the distance education certificate help me to do my PG abroad?
Awaiting advice from experts.

Confused about distance learning degree? Check out responses by experts here.

Author: [Anonymous]    05 Jan 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Most of the times, distance education degrees or courses are for theoretical subjects. For any technical course, one should pursue it as a regular course because then only you will be able to learn and understand concepts.
I would suggest you to complete your course as a regular student. For that you may seek unpaid leave from your present firm.

Query regarding PG from abroad needs more information like which course you want to pursue as your post graduation degree, from which country you want to pursue it, will your family support you financially for the same or you will apply for education loan.
The graduation degree details are not able to support your PG from abroad alone.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    05 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

Since you have completed diploma in E&C and are interested in a degree course awarded by distance education mode. But any degree earned through distance education mode would not augment your technical knowledge since distance education mode provides degrees mostly in Arts and Commerce - stream and these courses are devoid of practical portion.
If at all, you want to acquire a technical degree equivalent to BE, you may persue AMIE degree, which has got approval from ministry of HRD and the degree is treated at par with BE in all the recruitment - purpose in the Central and Public undertaking and so is the case with the private employer.
The main advantage in persuance of this course is that study can be undertaken in your convenient time and the course can be cleared instalment wise. In that way, you need not attend any Engineering College to procure an Engineering - degree. Moreover, you can maintain continuity with your service and can earn the AMIE degree.
Even your promotion - prospects would widen by acquiring this degree.

Author: [Anonymous]    05 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

I think distant education is better. Because if we have a job then we have not time for going colleges. By distant education we get the required qualification and more offers on the job will get. Experience is also get through this facility But we need to study hard for qualifying exams. It will be a strict valuation

Author: Pappu Das    12 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Distance learning is advisable only for non-technical/non-technological courses which involves only wide theoretical studies in the field of Arts mainly. There are many degree courses which requires experimental studies in laboratories and practical study to gain field knowledge. So, if your degree course is related to a theoretical study which doesn't require experimental observation or practical field study, then you may opt for distance learning without worrying about its quality of knowledge because every offline and online courses carry same knowledge.