Ask Experts » Computers » Software »

How to get job in software field

Date: 10 Jan 2016   Posted By: JATA DURGA PRASAD     Group: Computers    Category: Software   

I have completed my B.Sc (Computers) with 35% marks. But, after completion of my graduation, I got a job in Bajaj Allianz General Insurance. From that time onwards, I have continued in the Insurance field for about around 12-years. Now a days there is no value for an insurance person. So, I strongly feel that if I may do any professional course in computers it will be helpful for my career growth. Experts: can you provide career advice.

Searching for information to get a job in software sector? On this page, experts will provide you with career advice.

Author: [Anonymous]    11 Jan 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

May I know your age please!
To switch from job after certain time is difficult specially when you not only switching from job but also from your field.

There are some coaching institutes which gives job guarantee till certain age in It sector. If your age lies within the range, you can join such course.
For your information, IT sectors are also very much saturated now days and you may also feel the same as you are feeling in Insurance sector.
Being experienced in the field of Insurance, I would suggest you to find better opportunities in the same field.

Author: P    11 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

Looking at the experience you are having, I would suggest you to carry on in the same field. I have seen in Mumbai, people after working for some years as on insurance agent, open their own agency and hire freshers. These people bring insurance policies at a paltry salary. You can explore this option.

If you want to improve your profile, may be doing an MBA in finance or marketing from some good college can definitely help. With an MBA you can apply in good software companies as well as a domain expert.

IT sector is definitely saturated. And getting entry into it not only difficult, but also less paid at entry level. This option is definitely not suggested.

Even after all this you want to get into software industries, go for some advance certifications like SAP or Data Base Administrator before applying to the companies in this field.

Hope this helps.

Author: Vin    11 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

I don't know your age, I think you can do MCA in private as a part time. Now there is no such values to BSc computer science students minimum requirements for job those who done courses like BSc is MCA. Or you can join for fire and safety course it will provide 100% job opportunity. Salary also high. In my opinion you can select fire and safety.

Competition is more now a days, so to obtain a job in software field is very hard. You must be able to attend interviews based on the current views of computers. Lots of students are completing courses every year and company needs fresh students.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    12 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Since you have rendered your service for twelve years in Insurance - sector, so any employer in IT field would not find you useful in IT sector. Even your qualification - angle does not seem to be attractive at this stage. In this field, BE or MCA is the minimum qualification for the entry - level and supposing that you add up the qualification of MCA from some college, you would be lacking the relevant experience needed in this area.
The best way in your case would be to stick to the field where you are working. On the strength of your experience, you may look for a job in LIC or in ICICI Prudential for better emoluments. Experience earned in this area would help you to get an attractive job in other relevant fields with an attractive perk.

Author: Thomas Jose    12 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Keeping the fact that every job will have its own problems, I would suggest you to follow you dreams of being in the software field by doing MCA or M. Sc. Computer as both are good in IT. But still B. Sc. will be more good according to my opinion, of course I do know people who have done MCA and are in good position. However it is up to you. Both are good.

Author: Bhaskar Islam    14 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

I don't think switch to IT field after having 12 years of experience in insurance field is very advisable.
Problem no 1: After having 12 yrs of experience you have to start in IT field as a fresher.
Problem no 2: Age might be another big issue (though i don't know your age).
Problem no 3: You have to learn a lot to enter into the completely different IT industry.
Problem no 4: It will be very time consuming to be an expert on a certain technology in IT.
Problem no 5: If you go for MCA/BE, it will take another 3/4 years time. As per your experience my suggestion would be you can build your own insurance firm and start your own business.
You can also find a job as a Business Analyst in various insurance firm.

Author: Bhushan    14 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

1) I will not say it is Impossible but I could say improbable why because your
Degree marks or percentage doesn't suits a Job in Software Field .

2) you worked 12 years in another Profession. There is no word called impossible in this world if you try your luck you can get a software Job as a Designer or in animation

3)Learn any programming language and search some software projects in Insurance Domain because you domain knowledge gives you more weight to select in that Job as a freelancer.

3) If you want to be a developer learn .NET or P.H.P these are the easiest Programming Languages to learn and most popular in the Market.

4) Other wise learn some scripting language like HTML, CSS , JQuery, Javascript e.t.c to settle as a designer.

Author: Manoj Kumar Lamba    14 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

As you are working in the Insurance field from last 12 years, it is good to continue with the same field, as you are now expert in your field. If you want to change your job, you will have start from bottom in that field and it will take time to be stable in that field. You can go for some job oriented courses in IT field, prepare resume accordingly stating your past experience, skills and knowledge.