Ask Experts » Education » Study Abroad »

Whether to do MS or prepare for government job?

Date: 10 Jan 2016   Posted By: aditya     Group: Education    Category: Study Abroad   

I have done my graduation(B.Tech) last year in EE and now I am preparing for GATE and other PSUs exam as suggested by may relatives and parents. I want to study/do research work in my field which is not possible if I go for any government job. The other thing is to do M.Tech in any reputed university through GATE which is not good as doing MS in a foreign university. I don't want to do government job in India because I have an interest in my own field and that kind of job/opportunity is available in another country. I want to get into a new culture and learn new things. I belong to middle class family. If I insist my parents will let me to choose my career.
I was thinking to do MS from long ago and now to make a career in my field. I know I can do the hard work. My friends believe that I can do best in my own field. Can you guide or suggest what to do? I was thinking for MS in Germany because
1. Germany Dominates U.S. in Innovation and technology.
2. German universities have free/ less fee structure
What are the skills/things I have to learn/prepare?
How hard is it to get a job in another country for engineers?
Is the life much better than life in India?
What should I tell my parents about my career decision?
Which country is suitable for building my career?
Experts: do respond to all my queries.

Confused about doing MS or taking up a government job? Wondering about studying abroad? On this page, experts will provide you with suggestions.

Author: Partha Kansabanik    12 Jan 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

1. If you are interested in higher studies in your field, then you can re-appear in GATE. M.Tech or M.E from IITs and other reputed engineering colleges will have much more value than doing M.S from an obscure US University.

2. Your notion that no higher study is possible in Government services is wrong. Try to get a job (in your own field of study) in DRDO (for example) and see how much scope of research is available.

3. The final decision is entirely yours. You have to take the decision based upon your family's financial position and other aspects.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    14 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

I don't think the scopes are limited in our country for higher education. In your case, you can take up the GATE test and make an attempt to secure excellent percentile preferably beyond 96 percent and on the strength of this, you can persue your M.Tech in a prestigious Institution like IIT Kampur or IIT Mumbai. Regional colleges too may be decent choice for persuing the same. Doing MS from a foreign universities is always not always beneficial apart from huge cost.
There is the provision of study leave in all the Public Sector Undertakings and hence this oppurtunity for higher studies can be utilised.
For carrying out Research - work, you may try jobs in Central Fuel Research Institute or ISRO. By doing your M. Tech, you may look out for the jobs in these Research - related Organisations.

Post Answer

You must Sign In to post a response.

Post Answer        

Read related posts: Study in USA    Study in Germany    Study Abroad Countries    Study Abroad    

Related Questions
  • Return to Question Index
  • Ask Question to Experts

  • Awards & Gifts
    Top Contributors
    TodayLast 7 Daysmore...

    ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. © All Rights Reserved.