Ask Experts » Career Guidance » Finance and Banking Jobs »

Can I change profile from finance to ERP

Date: 10 Jan 2016    Group: Career Guidance    Category: Finance and Banking Jobs   

I am M.Com & CA inter qualified but unable to clear Finals due to some problems. Now I am doing job in a finance company but I am not satisfied with the pay.
Is there any chance to take up a job software side like SQL or BI etc.?
I have heard about jobs in ERPs like SAP and Oracle financials as Functional consultant but it might require high level of communication skills. I am a bit low in communication. Can I go for techno-functional consultant or technical side of ERP? Even if I choose to go for ERP Technical side, which one is better and easy: SAP or Oracle?
Experts: do provide guidance.

Thanks in advance..

Interested in changing profile from finance to software? Wondering if SAP or Oracle is a good option? On this page, you will find all the essential information you are looking for.

Author: Archana Kapoor    11 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

For ERP i.e. Enterprise Resource Planning, you should have a sound knowledge of computer science and Information technology. It is not a pure finance field but a combination of IT, Computer science and commerce and yes it requires good communication skills because you will have to deal with your clients so you must be confident enough to represent your company and the product to them.

Author: Mahesh    11 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Most of the companies don't have any issues with the person changing the domains. You can change from telecom to finance. Or you can change from ERP to finance. Only issue would be you have to go through training process.

Again each company has different training and evaluation process. Unless you pass that there is no way you will be allowed on some projects. So it all depends on how this process goes in your life.

I'd suggest depending on your company or the company where you wish to switch, you have to think of the process. And then take the process in order to switch to new domain accordingly.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    12 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

Since you don't have requisite qualification in the software stream, Employers may not be impressed with you.
ERP ( Enterprise Resource Planning) is the combination of commerce skill coupled with a good command in computers. In ERP, the expenditure involved in a certain process in Steel Plants and and other Industries can be calculated with the application of Software. Since you are devoid of IT knowledge, this field may not be suitable for you.
In this area, you have to have effective communication - skill so that you can converse effectively with your Boss and Peers.
Oracle, too, is a specialised module in computer field where the specialist applies the data base system and any specific function related to industry can be altered so as to get maximum revenue with the existing operation.There is a specialised examination in Oracle having three different stages. To be specialist in this domain, you have to clear the same.
Hope, you would note my observations.