Ask Experts » Career Guidance » Medical Jobs »

What is the scope of doing MBA after MBBS?

Date: 10 Jan 2016    Group: Career Guidance    Category: Medical Jobs   

What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing an MBA after MBBS? And I mean MBA from reputed colleges like IIMs. I'm a final year MBBS student and currently I feel that my passion doesn't really lie in medicine even though taking up this course was entirely my decision. I want to know the opportunities in management field. Will it be foolish on my part to pursue this after investing so many years of my life in MBBS?
How are the job opportunities and monetary benefits of doing MBA from IIMs? I am considering this because I don't think being a doctor will make me happy.
Experts: do provide advice.

Interested in studying MBA after becoming a doctor? Responses from experts on this page will provide a guiding light.

Author: [Anonymous]    11 Jan 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

It is really difficult to digest your query. Many students drop years to fight medical entrance tests and you are about to complete your course but not finding it good for yourself. Strange!

Yes you can pursue MBA but before that, I would like to suggest you to complete your MBBS and internship honestly.
Then do practice for a while and then pursue MBA.
Then you will be able to own your own hospital as you will be having you hard earn money with you, your medical related knowledge and finally management knowledge.

If you do not want to be in medical field at all, then you need to decide the field of your interest in which you want to have your career. Then only decide for course. Merely doing MBA does not guarantee a bright future.

If you want to go for software kind of job, then go for some short term relevant certification courses and get a job.
If you want to be in pharmacy related career, you can pursue B-pharma and D-Pharma.

There are lots of options you can have, the only thing which is must required is your stiff decision and focus.

Author: Kailash Kumar    11 Jan 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Completing MBA from IIMs will add value to the resume and brighten the future career prospects. However doing MBA from run of the mill institutes may not be of much use. There is good scope for MBBS plus MBA (IIM's) candidates in hospital administration and management. The author may consider working hard to crack CAT to secure admission in IIMs.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    11 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

It appears strange to me that you continued your medical studies despite your lack of interest. However, it is my sincere advise to complete the course with excellent marks so that you may impress others for your achievements.
While considering the Management - education, it would be benificial for you provided the same is persued from top institutions such as IIM, Xavier's Institute of Management etc. You may seriously start preparation in this line after passing out your MBBS course.
There are several prominent Institutions offering their expertise to prosperous students, you may surf them through the Internet. You must take a caution that in no case, you should take admission in such colleges/ institution which is not prominent. Hence solution lies in taking up CAT test seriously with excellent percentile.
By acquiring a Management - degree with IIM in Hospital Administration would always be advantageous to you.

Author: Archana Kapoor    11 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Although management and medicine are entirely different fields still you can relate them. If you pursue MBA then you can easily join any big pharmacy company or any other company which has a business of medicinal equipment. There you will have an edge over others because you will be having a better understanding of the equipment and a person like you who already belong to medicine cannot be denied a senior and better post in the company but it may take some time to establish yourself. Apart from MBA you can also pursue Medical engineering that also has good scope.

Author: Mahesh    12 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Most of the management program for MBBS and PHD holders are related to the hospitality industry. Also the amount of packages and the jobs are related to either pharma packaging or the hospital management. There are many such options available for the MBBS student but it all depends on how you choose to approach further career. I'd say stick with MBBS training initially and then once you get into management aim for the job oriented training instead of MBA. There are some courses in IIM for the MBBS student. Those programs pay out just well.

Author: Partha Kansabanik    12 Jan 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

You can go for MBA in Health Care Management. This is a new stream which has been initiated in India. This is available in some Universities of India including Delhi University. The qualification for admission or entrance test for this course is MBBS. You can go for this qualification.

Author: Chitra Rana Raghav    12 Jan 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Dear what you are thinking is latest trend among doctors. Most of the doctors are going for MBA degree. It add an additional shiny star in their resume when they apply for multi national or international hospitals. They get a big hike in salary after doing MBA.
Most of the big name in hospitals are preferring MBA doctors so that they can use them in multi tasking. If you have done your MBBS seriously and are planning to go for MBA then this is a good step and is according to the current trend.
I do not think if you are interested in being a software engineer or something!
You are on best track, pump it up with energy fuel and then no one can stop you from going higher and higher in your career.

Dear, If one percent I assume, you are not liking this sector totally then please do not go for MBA. Go for some own business as things which may be bothering you now will be increased multiple times after starting your career. So plan accordingly, do not just waste your time, energy and money because of your fickle mind.

Author: T.Krishnamoorthy    15 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Actually it is really great setback for you. You have already invested six years of your study and huge money over MBBS course. Now shifting to some other course will fetch you nothing. So, you can pursue your further study in the field of MBA(Hostpital Administration). Anyway, this is a management course but lightly linked with your MBBS course. Diverting yourself completely away from medicine is not a good idea.