Ask Experts » Career Guidance » IT jobs »

How to change from BPO to IT job

Date: 12 Jan 2016   Posted By: Shankar     Group: Career Guidance    Category: IT jobs   

I am working in a BPO and want to change to IT. I have few years of experience in BPO-medical transcription but it is useless and has poor salary. So I want to change it. After graduation, I took training in IT but could not get a job as a fresher so I had to join BPO. Now I want to give it a final try. I have knowledge of C, C++, JAVA, SQL server etc. but no work experience. I have applied to big MNCs in IT but did not get any response. I want to do a job oriented course. Which course should I opt for and from where? I am from Kolkata.
Experts: do provide guidance.

Want to change your job from BPO to IT? Wondering which course to opt for? Find suggestions from experts on this page.

Author: Bhaskar Islam    14 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Though you are an experienced BPO professional with C/Java knowledge, you might have to restructure your career as a fresher. I think that will not much affect you financially as well. As you know IT field has become very competitive now a days, you need proper plan for getting a job. I can suggest you few options/areas to move into IT jobs:
1. You can take java/oracle courses from NIIT/jetking/IIHT. They have their own placement cell.
2. If you already have good knowledge in java/oracle etc. You can directly go for International certifications like: OCJP, OCP etc.
3. You can go for SAP training to get placed as a SAP consultant.
4. HTML5,CSS3,AngularJS are hot cake in market now. You can easily get a good job as a UI developer if you know these technologies.
5. Bigdata/Hadoop is another option for getting a quick job.
Hope these informations will help you to choose your better career.

Author: P    14 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

It is advisable to go for certification in Oracle/SAP/Big Data/JAVA etc. before you start sending your resume to IT companies.

There are some institutes/group in market that hire people on behalf on the companies. You can contact such people as well. Many candidates use this option, work for good companies on contract, gain experience for 2-3 years and then jump into the market.

Some institutes conduct technical aptitude tests as well, and their scores are helpful in improving your resume. One such site is ELITMUS. This institute conducts exams in different cities and help you get placed. Do visit this website.

Apart from above, reference also works well in IT companies. Ask your friends at good position in IT companies to refer your resume to their HR department.

Hope it helps.

Author: Manoj Kumar Lamba    14 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

A BPO doesn't require technical skills, any graduate or undergraduate can join a BPO job. As you have knowledge of C, C++, Java, SQL server, it is better to switch job to IT sector. To move from BPO to IT sector you should show your IT skills. I think you must go for some job oriented IT courses side side with your job, and prepare a good resume mentioning your IT skills and apply in different organisations. Try to get some job in IT sector may be it is on contract basis, but you can add its experience in your resume which will help you to find the right job in IT field.

Author: Karthikeyan    14 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

I felt going for any regular coaching classes may not help you to fetch a job in IT industry because companies will prefer the fresh graduates who finished their degree from colleges. Your experience in BPO industry may not help you or may also be a problem while switching to IT job.

Below are the ways you have to get a job in IT,

1. Look for new technologies like Hadoop and Big data and prefer to learn such courses. There are lot of openings available in such areas and going to be a large demand in data analytic field.

2. There are many people from BPO industry migrated to IT field if they are working in same organization. You can ask your manager to give transfer to IT if there is seperate IT division in your company or You can join in a BPO job from such reputed organization and plan to switch within the organization.

Author: Bhushan    21 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Software Industry can hug or take into lapse anybody irrespective of age,
caste, gender,sex, religion and religion. There project based on Health care Domain and companies are there only for Health care so your domain knowledge is plays a important role in getting the Job there provided if you learn Java.,.Net it will fetch you more weight in selecting a Job there.