Ask Experts » Computers » Software »

USB Root Hub Driver is not working

Date: 13 Jan 2016   Posted By: Floris Boy     Group: Computers    Category: Software   

My laptop (Lenovo G50-80, Windows 8.1 64-bit) is experiencing problems with connecting to USB devices. I have had this laptop for a year and I have never had problems with the USB ports, until recently. When I plug my device in, nothing happens. I have checked Device Management and tried uninstalling all saved devices, to force a reinstall on startup. This did not work, and now my USB 3.0 Root Hub now shows up as an Unknown Device.
Could experts advice?

Having a problem with USB root hub driver? Responses from experts here will provide you the solution.

Author: Manoj Kumar Lamba    14 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

As you have tried uninstalling and then again installing the USB drivers, so there may be some problem with USB port. I think it is better to replace the port. Show your laptop to your nearest hardware mechanic, he will replace the USB port and then it may work properly.

Author: Karthikeyan    14 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Did you try with reinstalling the USB device driver in your laptop? I think it is a problem with device drivers installed. USB port use to work for long period of time and I hope there won't be any problem with your USB port.

Author: RAJAN    15 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Sometimes it due to virus attack. If you are reinstall correct device driver and still not working, it is due to connection error. You need to connect the device into another system. If it is not working that device is damaged. Device failure also shows unknown device and also for the device which is not correctly connected.

Author: Avi    15 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

Hello,
First check if problem is with USB port or devise driver.
1. Connect multiple USB devices to same port , see if windows able detect and try to install driver. If not then you might have problem with USB port itself.
2. If you see windows detecting but failing to install the driver required for external connection. Then there could be many scenarios.
3. Try connecting same thing with internet enable , it is possible that windows will detect required driver and will install automatically.
4. Check problem causing USB port from devise manager and try de-installing updates on that driver if any you have installed recently.

Since you said it was working before there could be issue that you have recently updated the USB driver. Search in you tube , there are easy steps to de-install the updates for USB driver.

Author: Rakhil P E    17 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

You can follow below steps to diagnose and fix It.
1 Open device manager
2 Try updating the usb device driver.
3 Restart the computer.
4 Check whether usb port is working or not.

If this couldn't solve the problem it is better to contact the Lenovo customer care at 1-800-3000-9990 (Toll Free).
They will help you in this .

Alternatively you can visit
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/dead-usb-port-heres-how-to-diagnose-and-fix-it/
for more information.