Ask Experts » Opinion About » Miscellaneous »

Removing the seeds in tomatoes and capsicum - good or not

Date: 21 Jan 2016   Posted By: Ramachandran Pattabiraman     Group: Opinion About    Category: Miscellaneous   

My co-brother used to remove the seeds from the tomato and capsicum while cooking as it would affect the health as told by somebody known to him. But he is not aware about the whole reason. But whenever I used to cook I do not remove the seeds from them and cook. Any of our friends can suggest me whether he is correct or I myself correct, if so why and how. Experts: do respond.

Author: Mahesh    21 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Seeds often contain contents that are not good enough for the patients who suffer from kidney stone or diabetes. So the doctors ask the patients to avoid these two altogether. Also if you do try to have them in such case just consume them without the seeds. During preparation of the food, you can extract them and use only the sides without the seeds. If you take juice or the liquid form of them you can remove the seed before making liquid form. I suggest you to make sure to avoid them if they are not recommended for your health.

Author: Manoj Kumar Lamba    21 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

I am eating vegetables without removing seeds and have never faced any problem of eating them with seeds. There are some important nutrients which only found in the upper layer and in the seeds of some vegetables but some people like to remove the upper layer and seeds of these vegetables. As said in above reply by Mahesh that seeds of some vegetables are not good for particular patients, so you can consult your doctor and decide whether to continue the vegetable with seed or without seed.

Author: Partha Kansabanik    21 Jan 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

There is absolutely no problem in taking fruits with seeds. If the seeds are not digested, these come out with the stool. So far as tomatoes and capsicums are concerned, it is very difficult to segregate the seeds. And this is the first time I am hearing such theory of eating tomatoes and capsicums without the seeds.

Author: [Anonymous]    22 Jan 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

There is no issue in having seeds of tomato and capsicum, but as you mentioned, it is half knowledge of your co brother about it.
There are some vegetables seeds like dried chilly seeds, Pomegranate seeds etc are advised to avoid because they increase the possibility of having stones in body.
But it is not cent percent case. Like everyone living in cold weather may not catch cold but some of them.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    24 Jan 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Formation of stone is because of accumulation of Oxalic acid in the Bladder and Kidney. So far the question of seed of Tomato is concerned, it contains 4 gm of Oxalic - acid per 100 gm of Tomato. So consuming Tomato- seeds would not create any health - issue.
However, in case of Capsicum, presence of Oxalic - acid is high - as much as 67 gm per 100 gm of Capsicum. So it's continuos usage may give rise to Stone - formation either in the Bladder or in the Kidney. As such, precautionary step must be taken while consuming Capsicum - seeds.

Author: Shibin Raj K    08 Feb 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

My mom cooks without seeding and think the reason is very simple, tomato flash is tasty and seeds are more tastier. If we look at the glutamates protein that give taste seed has it three times more than the flashy part.
On the health part, studies have shown that it does not cause any diseases, especially kidney stones or kidney diseases. But if you are already having kidney stones or kidney diseases doctors usually advises not to have tomatoes or tomato seeds because they are high in oxilates. Oxilates can help in accumulation of calcium which will in turn creates stones in kidney. People suffering from kidney related diseases should stay away fromestomato and tomato seeds.
There are many other myths related to tomatoes also. One among is that the Appendicitis hoax. But it have no scientific backing so no worries please. Tomatoes and Appendicitis have no relations.
Eat tomatoes, it is high in nutrient value and high in anti-toxins. It can also help to reduce many disorders and ailments if consumed regularly.