Ask Experts » Religion » Hinduism »

Best book about hindu rituals and worship

Date: 21 Jan 2016   Posted By: Subitha M V     Group: Religion    Category: Hinduism   

I am doing pooja in my home. Recently I took charge from my mother in law after my marriage. I am having few doubts and confusion while doing pooja. When I asked my mother in law she is not aware about it. I want to clarify all my doubts and to worship and do pooja without any variations from normal rules. Can you tell me about the special days for Gods, about the lightning of lamp, time, direction, pradakshina and mantras? Are there any books which can clarify my doubts? Awaiting advice from experts.

Searching for books in Hindu worship? On this page experts shall provide you with suggestions.

Author: Kailash Kumar    26 Jan 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

There is no universal code available for performing puja. There are regional variations. Even there may be minute variations in methodology from priest to priest. Even in Panchang , there are regional variations. Many online Panchang are available which can be referred according to the region of the author. One of the best way is to consult a local priest, but it is better not to get confused as the other priest of the same place may tell a little different methodology. Basically the puja should be performed after taking bath etc. with due sincerity, faith and belief. Method is not important. Devotion is important.

Author: M Nirmal Anandh    15 Feb 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

In Hinduism, there is no rules to follow while doing pooja by Women. There is only one rule to keep in mind is that, don't do any kind of pooja during Menstrual. This is the only rule followed by our ancestors.
There is no special days for lighting lamp, you can lamp it before 7.00 at morning and within 5.00 to 6.00 at the evening. To off the lamp, you have to use flowers, don't off the lamp by your mouth. The direction for lighting the lamp is towards the east.
There are lot of manthras available in our hinduism, you can chant according to your needs, my advice is to chant Ganesh Gayathri Mantra at any time, not only during the pooja.
Ganesh Gayathri:
"Om Ekathanthaaya Vidmahe,
Vakrathundaaya Deemahi,
Dhanno Thanthi Prachodhayath."
If you are a tamilian, better you can buy "Deivathin Kural" wrote by Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswati Swamigal. You can also download his E-Books in the given link http://www.classiblogger.com/jagadguru-sri-chandrasekharendra-saraswati-swamigal-mahaangalum-adhisayangalum/
To know more and more about Hinduism, better you can read "Bagavadgita". To download bagavadgita, use this link www.dlshq.org/download/bgita.pdf
Glad your doubt's has been cleared.

Reference: www.classiblogger.com/jagadguru-sri-chandrasekharendra-saraswati-swamigal-mahaangalum-adhisayangalum/

Author: DEEPANKAR DAS    24 May 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

In Hinduism there are lot of books about pooja, mantras, stotras and slokas. There are lots of gods in hinduism. So, there are lots of pooja, mantras, stotras and slokas for them. There are different types of festivals like ganesh pooja, Srikrishna Janmastami, SriRam nabami, Durga pooja, Laxmi pooja, Kali pooja, Saraswati pooja, Hanuman Jayanti etc.
There are a lot of holy books in hinduism. They are Srimadbhagbat Gita, Vedas, Upnishads, Purans. You can follow puja mantras and puja vidi book written by different authors. You can also follow calenders, panjikas for different pooja festivals and its time, date etc.