Ask Experts » Religion » Hinduism »

Lightning of lamp at Rahu Kaalam for Durga

Date: 21 Jan 2016   Posted By: Subitha M V     Group: Religion    Category: Hinduism   

In this month (Thai in Tamil) it is a practice of lightning lamp for Durga at the time of Rahu Kaalam. Some belief is that it is better to light lemon lamp at this time. What is the procedure for this? Somewhere I read that you have to light odd number of lemon lamp for Durga, before that one lamp has to lit for Ganesha. But in the temple near my house nobody is doing that. I got confused about it. Can anybody clear my doubt?
Experts: do respond.

Wondering what rituals are practised on Rahu alaam for Durga? Check out responses from experts here.

Author: Ramachandran Pattabiraman    28 Jan 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Lighting the lamp made of lemon in the shrine of Durga in any temple during the Rahu Kal is nothing to have any confusion as it is old tradition which is followed by many since many decades. There is no specific procedure for this. First the lemon should be halved into two and squeezed out the juice When the both side of lemon turned reverse it appears to be a cup/lamp. We can pour Ghee or Gingley oil and wick and the wick can be lited with match box. (only here many told that the lamps of such should not lited from the other lamps but should be only lited my matches) There is no specific month of Thai but in any month any day rahu kal one can do like this. wish you all the best.