Ask Experts » Computers » Hardware »

Can I use two internal hard disks in one computer?

Date: 27 Jan 2016   Posted By: Niketan Pal     Group: Computers    Category: Hardware   

I have a desktop with 160 GB internal hard disk, Intel dual core processor, 2 GB RAM and gigabyte board H61M DS2. Now I have not much memory left in my hard disk. I want to buy a new internal hard disk 500 GB. Can I use the two internal hard disks together?
Experts: do advice.

Want to expand computer hard disk capacity? Wondering how to go about doing it? Check out responses from experts on this page.

Author: Bhaskar Borah    30 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

No, You cannot use two internal hard disk for one PC. Otherwise you can use Many External hard disk you want. The basic Hardware systems of Computer systems are designed for only one internal hard disk, So If you want to use two hard disk in one computer you must modify your computer hardware and make space for the other hard drive, which is you can say impossible.
If there is a problem only of Free space left it is good to use an External hard drive and store most of the data in it. Then you will have helpful options for you because You can use External hard drive on any PC you want with no extra effort.Then you can go with the hard drive now present.
But if your computer slow downs because of memory then only increasing hard disk could not give you a solution , you have to increase RAM to.

Author: RAJAN    30 Jan 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

Some motherboard allow for connecting two harddisk. For that you need sata cables. If the system has no additional connector. You can use the voltage connector of CD drive. So it is possible to connect two harddisk.

Author: Mahesh    01 Feb 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Your computer allows you to attach 4 HDD in master slave fashion. So you can easily connect master HDD to boot through the operating system. In case of other HDD you have to attach them as slave. Besides the normal slave and master connection. You can also attach external drives using USB drive. So you can use all the ports for connecting the hard disk to your computer. So the limit is set by ports in case of USB based external HDD. I suggest you to use USB ports for connecting the external USB HDD to the computer.

Author: Manoj Kumar Lamba    01 Feb 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

Yes you can attach two or more internal hard disks if your PC's motherboard is configured to support these. You can also attach external hard disks.

Author: Hermes    02 Feb 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Your motherboard has 4 SATA ports, so you can attach 3 more hard drives to your motherboard. You might want to check your power supply as well, to see if it has an extra connector for SATA hard disks. If you are adding only one more internal HDD though, it really shouldn't be a problem.