Ask Experts » Computers » Blog and websites »

How should a non-technical person run a website on his own?

Date: 01 Feb 2016    Group: Computers    Category: Blog and websites   

Six months back, I have joined with my friend to start an exclusive website. Things were going smoothly for starting few months. Now, I am the only one who left alone to run the site, the reason being my other two friends got caught up in a such situations from where they are unable to help me out. Seriously, I never expected this but again life is a challenge so I took this challenge.

Now, the most difficult part is that I am not a technical person who can understand A-Z in computer, Blogs or Website kind of subject. It is all fairly easy, the only problem I am getting is to fixing some technical issue.

Finally I am here to get some valuable advice and experience from our knowledgeable members. What should I do to keep continue running my website?

Are you a non-technical person needing guidance to operate a website on your own? With expert guidance here, you can succeed!

Author: Kailash Kumar    07 Feb 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

The author will have to either hire or enter into a partnership with a person who is technically proficient and competent in maintaining a website. Simultaneously the author can also make efforts to learn the technical aspects in case possible. There appears no other solution to the challenge being faced by the author.

Author: Ank Arya    07 Feb 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

Dear Mate,

It is sad to know that your website does not have a technical expert for it. While it includes some cost, you will have to hire an expert to get rid of the technical issues.

What may have been more helpful for the moment is you should have shared exactly what kind of technical issues are being faced by you. Is it about a search box not working properly? Is it that the data being submitted to the website is not updating on the site? Is it that your whole site is down?

If you can brief on exactly what kind of issues you are facing, it maybe possible that either I or some other expert from the community may solve it right here for you.

However, because you have a running website which is still online and being visited by people, the best that I can suggest you is to find a paid expert for now and let him handle the major technical issues himself. Meanwhile, you can learn and understand to do it yourself unless you get it enough to do most of these things on your own.

Author: Mahesh    08 Feb 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

If you are non technical person then you have to learn few skills in order to operate the site. This is to avoid the dependence on the people. Most of the non technical people take more time to understand the concept but once learned can do just fine with the instructions.

So your next move should be to learn more about your website. How it is built and how it can be troubleshoot in the events. So this way you are not going to be in much of an issue when things go wrong.

Learn programming if you have to. The places like codecademy or khan academy can be good source for you to learn things. By learning how to code, you can easily learn how your website works and how to solve issues for the same. It takes time to learn it but it works in your favor eventually. I suggest you to go with this approach and you won't have issues with operating your website anymore.