Ask Experts » Computers » Blog and websites »

What IDE's or software do PHP web development professionals use for developing websites.

Date: 05 Feb 2016   Posted By: Ank Arya     Group: Computers    Category: Blog and websites   

There are many PHP development tools available online with titles like "10 best php IDE". Some may simply prefer to use tools like NotePad++ for making PHP pages. But I want only one that is good and nice to start with website development and databases.

I am a newbie to PHP with only basic knowledge of how things work, basically. Being a .Net practitioner, I know of Visual Studio's version which offers PHP development, but I am not considering a paid product for now.

Can you suggest me a good software in which I can make PHP websites, manage all the pages (and preview them in designer), use databases with them, publish to the web easily?

Experts: do advice.

Want to develop a website? Wondering which is the best IDE to use? On this page, experts shall provide you suggestions.

Author: Mahesh    08 Feb 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

PHP doesn't any special IDE for executing the program. You can just use the notepad to write the code. However there are some of the coding editors that you can use. e.g Sublime text is one good IDE for running PHP programs.

You need WAMP server from Bitnami. You just need to install that and PHP code can be written and executed just by writing on the code editor.

There are few other IDEs such as :

1. PHP Designer
2. Sublime Text
3. Notepad++
4. Edit Pad Pro
5. PSPad
6. Aptana
7. Atom
8. Brackets

Most of the IDEs listed here are free of cost. My personal suggestion is to download Sublime Text. And just start writing code using WAMP server or Bitnami PHP server. This should give you good headstart. Don't need to download IDE which are heavy on computer and too much learning curve.

So only two things that you need are : sublime text and Bitnami WAMP server.

This should be more than enough for you to get started and design website using php with mysql database.

Author: Ank Arya    08 Feb 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3    Voting Score: 0

@Mahesh,

Thanks for the detailed answer.

The reason I have been looking for IDE is because I was used to Dreamweaver, then NetBeans, then Visual Studio till now. Now, when the interest of learning PHP has aroused in me, it feels too unsystematic and old styled to make a site of many pages without working on IDE's. With 8GB of RAM and an i5 processor, even running a little resource-heavy programs is never a problem.

I would begin with testing on NetBeans as well as trying my hands on phpDesigner8 and CodeLobster that I have managed from my old hard disk data. I would settle with one of these.