Ask Experts » Opinion About » Miscellaneous »

Who is a valentine? Please help me in understanding the concept.

Date: 05 Feb 2016   Posted By: Kailash Kumar     Group: Opinion About    Category: Miscellaneous   

I have to confess that I have not yet been able to fully connect to the concept of valentine. Who is a valentine? Why people celebrate valentine day? How many of us know about Saint Valentine? Are people familiar with the biography of Saint Valentine? Where was he born and what were his teachings? I personally feel that most of the students and such other younger generation who celebrate valentine day with much enthusiasm and gusto don't know much, rather anything, about reasons of celebrating the great day. Is it simply a ploy of the greeting cards and gift products selling merchants to publicize about such events and make the people behave like a herd?
Experts: Please help me in understanding to know as to who is a valentine?

Want to know about valentine? Searching for information about valentine's day celebration? Find responses from experts on this page.

Author: Akshaya Acharya    09 Feb 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Valentine's day is basically a celebration of one or more christian saints called valentinus. All these martyrs are celebrated on February 14.
For instance, Valentine of Rome story goes like this: He was imprisoned for performing weddings for soldiers who were forbidden to marry and according to the legend, he also cured the daughter of the jailer. Just before his execution, he wrote her a farewell letter signed "Your Valentine". Saint Valentine's day is an official feast day for some communities of Christians. Some other communities also celebrate this feast day on July 6.
Valentine's day was later associated with romantic love and lovers started celebrating it all over the world with flowers, gifts, greeting cards, etc.

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine%27s_Day#Historical_facts