Ask Experts » Career Guidance » IT jobs »

Software developer eligibility

Date: 06 Feb 2016    Group: Career Guidance    Category: IT jobs   

I am doing class 12 right now and I want to become a software developer. I am having maths and computer science as my subjects. I am a commerce student. Can I be a software developer? If I can become a developer then what are the degrees I should go for? What is the pay scale of a software developer?
Experts: do provide suggestions.

Want to become a software developer? Wondering how to go about it? Check out responses from experts on this page.

Author: Mahesh    08 Feb 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

In order to be software developer there are two tracks. You can either choose the computer science degree. Or you can choose to get into the computer programming training after the degree. That way you can surely get placement from the companies. There are other options like off campus placement. Also the placement done within the campus during your college degree. So it all depends on how you plan on finishing the formal course. You need to know C, C++, Data structures, algorithm and other basic functionality of computing. Do also study the interview questions. This way you can prepare yourself for the software developer job.

Author: Vin    08 Feb 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

You can became software developer so you must take a course in computer science. Main area you want to cover is C, C++, Operating System, Data Structures and Algorithms, Compiler, Theory of Computations. Do separate courses for the same so that you can attend recruitment conducted by companies and became software developer.

Author: [Anonymous]    08 Feb 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Nothing is impossible dear.
So, yes you can be a software developer.
You are on right track till date. After your graduation, you may go for BCA (Bachelors in Computer Application), B.Sc. with Computer Science and B.tech. with Computer specialization.
For sub specialization, you have to select Software.

All these courses have good job prospects and most of the reputed institutes offers placements after this course.

The pay scale depends upon your skills and capabilities dear and nothing can be defined at this point.

Author: Akshaya Acharya    09 Feb 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Since you are in class 12 right now, its really easier for you to plan your goal towards a software developer.

If you are totally inclined towards becoming a software developer, i suggest you take up a BCA(Bachelor of Computer Applications) degree. It handles all the subjects you require for software development.

On completion of the degree, you can either apply for a job(Campus or Off-campus) or you can take up MCA which is a 3 year course.

After BCA, u can even take up certification courses in software development like testing, Android, Hadoop, Cisco networking or any other area you are interested in. Once you complete your degree, you will know what subjects have a better career scope and it becomes easier for you to move up in your career.

If you still have doubts of becoming a software developer, you can still take up B com with computers as it has more weightage than B com regular, and then decide if you want to take up software development career or commerce career.

As a computer postgraduate myself, i can say software development is the most interesting field and there's a bag full of opportunities throughout your life. If you have more queries i would really be happy to help you more. All the very best.