Ask Experts » Career Guidance » Other Jobs »

Where do I start my political career while I am still a teenager.

Date: 07 Feb 2016    Group: Career Guidance    Category: Other Jobs   

I am 16 year old and want to become a politician and then prime minister.

Politics takes a lot of time and I think I should start something right now. I live in Mumbai. Are there any youth circles or any political groups or anything that I can join and maximize my contacts?

Experts: do respond to my query.

Are you aspiring to become a politician? Find responses from experts here.

Author: Kailash Kumar    08 Feb 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

The author may consider the route adopted by Dr. Manmohan Singh and Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam to become Prime Minister and President of India respectively though perhaps some luck factor is also required to reach such heights. In my opinion , it is better to focus on studies than joining any political youth circle at such an immature age. After having a solid foundation of education, the author may choose a path of his choice after becoming major.

Author: [Anonymous]    08 Feb 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

It is good that you have a good vision for your future at this age, but everything should be done on its right time.
This is time for education and nothing great can be achieved without proper education.

At this age, you should focus on your studies. You may opt for courses which include studies of politics like Political science, Sociology, etc.
There are many institutes offering this courses at graduation as well as post graduation level.
Through these courses, you will be able to under stand about how politics work.

Author: Manoj Kumar Lamba    08 Feb 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

As you are a teenager, you should first focus on your studies and then side by side you can join any political youth wing of your interest. Get involved in developing your area, try to have contact with persons around you who have political reach. Through them try to get more and more knowledge about politics as well as learn about how to get public attracted towards your work. Do something for goodness of localities around you so that people believe that if they elect you as their representative, you will perform better. There is no shortcut for directly becoming P.M., you should start from bottom and do hard work. All your success depends on your hard work and luck. Best of luck for your bright future in politics.

Author: Jagdish Patro    09 Feb 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 4  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Those who have done their research in Politics and Political Science can't become politicians and excel in politics. Successful politicians have never thought of becoming so in their teenage and they focussed on their study first. Manmohan Singh never thought of becoming PM of India and Abdul Kalam never dreamt of becoming its President but it is destiny that decided their fate. Before entering the political arena, they contributed their best for the Nation.

Having interest in politics is not a bad idea but you try to concentrate on your studies first. Choose the course of study as per your interest even it could be politics as a subject of study and try to establish yourself first. Entering into politics needs a lot of patience and dedication. Take Modi as an example. He worked hard as a Sevak in an organisation and joined a political party and got elevated to various ranks and file by true dedication and sincerity. The enthusiasm you have now may evaporate in the long run due to the circumstances, so it is always ideal to settle down in a life which generates you the bread and butter first. Having an ideology is always good but following it with sincerity is more difficult and needs so much sacrifice.

Author: Venkiteswaran.    10 Feb 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

I am pleasantly surprised that when the youth of this country shows their dislike for politics via their interactions in Social media and political parties are not getting more youths in to their fold, you are showing interest to join politics. One way it is welcome.

As pointed out unanimously in previous responses, do not ignore studies. For higher courses choose subjects dealing with Indian history, politics etc. which can equip you with some basic knowledge. To be successful or effective in politics, one needs to put hard work, have team spirit, leadership quality, vision, knowledge of the problems of people and places of his work area around him. If not coming from a family of politician, the launch may take sometime. Sense of using right words and right deeds at the proper and most opportune time is a must for a politician. Anything misfired will land him in problems.
One should have thorough faith and good knowledge of working of democracy, governance etc. Reading and learning of law and our constitution etc will be added advantage.
Many of these can be acquired and cultivated, some has to be from one's behaviour and attitude.

One ca participate in student bodies in the area of arts, sports, literature and many voluntary service activities. If allowed in the institution, one can also join be active in students' union activities. These can be the start ;the experiences and the work one puts in and get acceptance can help in climbing up in political ladder.

Author: Partha Kansabanik    10 Feb 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Politics require information about contemporary events, ability to analyse pros and cons of an event and good oratorial skill. If you are still in school, you can join the debating club or newspaper society of your school. These would work as stepping stones in your journey to become a politician. When you reach the college, you may participate in the activities of the students' unions for further progress.

Author: Imran Soudagar    17 Feb 2016      Member Level: Bronze     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

Joining politics at such a young age might looks awkward to many people but in my opinion it is a good choice.

And I too agree that you must focus on studies first and then think of politics.

You can join Student wing of any National Party. And start contributing to student's causes.

One thing that no one here pointed out is that being a politician needs skills. You need special strong skills to be effective politician.

I suggest you first develop these skills and then join a party.

Skills needed to be a good politician:

1. Speaking skills.
2. Debating skills.
3. Reading skills.
4. Analyzing skills.
5. Marketing skills.
6. Writing skills.

And the list goes on.

To tell you the truth I am mentoring a friend since the last decade and helping him improve his skills so that he will be a better politician and our hard work is working.

As a politician you will have to speak, debate and fight for your causes. So you need to practise to speak and debate.

Participate in speech and debate competitions. And you will learn how your opponents speak and how to build your arguments.

As a politician you will have to read a lot of laws and need to understand. To pass effective laws you need to read and understand those laws. Read the Indian constitution and read its explanation. Try to understand it. If you can't understand the Indian constitution you can't be a better politician.

You will need writing skills too. You will have to write letters, invitations, speeches and what not. Improve your writing skills.

I suggest you to join a social work organization. It will help you understand the needs of people.

Plan wisely, make a 10 year plan and follow it. You can't be PM or CM or MLA within a year, it takes years of preparation and hardwork.

Start small, be consistent and watch other great leaders. Learn from them.

Make sure you stay away from corruption and other wrong ways. Stand for truth and honesty.

Hope this will help you.

Arise, awake and stop not until you reach your goal.

Best wishes.