Ask Experts » Education » India Educational Consultants »

Switching college and course in second year

Date: 10 Feb 2016   Posted By: Manisha Priya     Group: Education    Category: India Educational Consultants   

I am a 2nd year student of Maths Hons. from a very reputed college. However, due to some reason I want to discontinue my college and change my course. So is there any chance that I could get an admission in a different college with a different course in the 2nd year? I scored 50% in my 1st year and 95% in my ISC exam.

Want to change your college and switch to a new course in your second year? Let our education experts explain if this is possible.

Author: K Mohan    10 Feb 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 0    Voting Score: 0

I think for the regular college of repute they wont allow the students coming from the discontinued course as they wont have the vacant seat. But there some colleges which are not that popular but they do give good coaching for the studies. Inquire about the same in your area now itself and get admissions.

Author: Kailash Kumar    10 Feb 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

In case it is not possible to get admission in another college in a different course, the author may consider to take admission in first year of the course of choice in the college where he feels confident. Now the %age of marks in college will matter more than the 95% of ISC examination, though the same will be helpful in getting admission in first year.

Author: Partha Kansabanik    11 Feb 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

I have read your question very carefully. You can't take admission in 2nd year in a different course. If you want to start afresh and take admission in a different course, you have to take admission afresh in the 1st year on the basis of your 10+2 marks. The UGC regulation is very clear on this aspect.

Author: Thomas Jose    11 Feb 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Most of the colleges will be reluctant to admit you into second year. But there may be some that will allow such transfer, but you should ensure that the college is reliable and trustworthy. If they give more favourable offer, beware of frauds. But you can discontinue the present course and join as fresher. But there will be some issues here too. You will have get into an arrangement about the fee with present college. And on the next year your allotment will be affected by the one year gap. You will also find it difficult to get back your previous educational certificate from the university unless you have a hold there.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    12 Feb 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

To take admission in second year in a different course other than than existing one is not possible since the same would be violation of UGC norm. However, you can choose any subject of your choice and can take admission in the first year provided you satisfy the admission - committee for your eligibility of the course. If they introduce a process of selection of aspirants through a written test, you have to appear for the same and the test has to be cleared.
You have to consider pros and cons prior to taking any step since this involves a loss of one year of your precious time and the same loss cannot be compensated later.

Author: [Anonymous]    13 Feb 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Hi Dear, What ever you are looking for is not possible.
The option of college change in 2nd year is some times manageable by authorities only when a candidate is going for same course.
So, do not try for this.

If you are not finding your current course interesting for yourself, then follow- "Better late than never" and start your degree from 1st year in your course of interest. This will take additional 3 years but will give you a satisfactory career for life time.
All the Best!

Author: Imran Soudagar    16 Feb 2016      Member Level: Bronze     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

If you want to change college after your 1st year degree, you can do it. All you have to do is approach the college where you intent to join and speak to their administration.

As far as changing of course is concerned, it depends in your University. Since you have not mentioned your University it is not possible to advise you correctly.

But in some Universities it is possible to change subjects.

For example:

If you had selected Maths you can do for Physics or Chemistry.

If you had selected Sociology then you can change it to Psychology.

But it might not be possible to change your course.

I personally had changed college during my graduation and it was an easy process.

Post Answer

You must Sign In to post a response.

Post Answer        

Related Questions
  • Return to Question Index
  • Ask Question to Experts

  • Awards & Gifts
    Top Contributors
    TodayLast 7 Daysmore...

    ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. © All Rights Reserved.