Ask Experts » Computers » Blog and websites »

How to build our own dictionary online?

Date: 14 Feb 2016   Posted By: Pradeepraj R     Group: Computers    Category: Blog and websites   

I wish to build my own medical dictionary online. Could anyone help me achieve this by explaining the things needed such as php, HTML or any other program needed for that? Also can you give options regarding tutorials and softwares such as kompozer and Dreamweaver?
Experts: do advice.

Want to build an online dictionary? Find responses from experts here, on this page.

Author: Mahesh    15 Feb 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Wikipedia offers API to access the dictionary data and you can use it to create your own. Go to wikitionary page. And find the developer section. You'll find the documentation on how to access that data. You can then customize that data to suit your purpose. I have found that most off the time this data definitely helps with building your own app without having to worry about license issues. As the wikipedia content is free of cost to reuse, you can try using their data.

Other than that you have sources such as creating your own dictionary. But it is not going to be easy and quick. You have to spend the time and money creating such resources. So it is better to take data from other dictionary sites which allow you such API sharing.

Author: [Anonymous]    23 Feb 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Hi friend,

1) To create your own online dictionary first you want a great collection of words that covers almost every possible word related to any field.

2) To create online dictionary you must have knowledge about languages, you should have knowledge about MYsql andPHP.

3) To create a good dictionary online I would recommend Drupal CMS.

Thank you

Author: Dinesh    06 Mar 2016      Member Level: Bronze     Points : 0    Voting Score: 0

Try to get free dictionary database from Internet and use it to your website with dynamic contents via php mysql.. its is the best way to create dictionary website.