Ask Experts » Lawyers » Indian Law »

How to change name legally in India

Date: 16 Feb 2016   Posted By: sona roy     Group: Lawyers    Category: Indian Law   

My name is Sona Roy. The same name has been provided everywhere in school, college and university. I want to change it so that in future I can provide a different name. Hence, I want to know the procedure for the legal change of name. It does not matter for me whether the name remains the same on the certificates which are already issued. I just want that the forthcoming certificates which will be issued later on will have a different name.

Want to change your name as per the law? Free guidance is provided here for your ready reference.

Author: bushra    18 Feb 2016      Member Level: Bronze     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

First you have to make gazette for the name which you want to change then
Then you have to submit this gazatte to every place where you want your name to be changed

Author: [Anonymous]    18 Feb 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

First of all, you have a nice name- very simple but sweet.
I would like to know you age and qualification. Because whatever you have mentioned in your query, I got an hint that your have done with your college education also.
At this point of time, what is the need of name change? I mean, It can be problematic for you for whole life bearing two different names as it will be difficult to change you name in will your academic as well as legal documents.

The procedure to change name is, you have to put and application for name change and mentioned you current name and the name you want to have.
Get it signed by gazetted officer and submit it at your local government office.
You also need to publish a column of name change in your state news paper and keep its cutting for your future reference.