Ask Experts » Lawyers » Indian Law »

How can I change my name legally?

Date: 17 Feb 2016   Posted By: sona roy     Group: Lawyers    Category: Indian Law   

What is the procedure for a legal change of name. It does not matter for me whether the name remains same on the certificates which are all ready issued. I want that the certificate which will be issued later should have the changed name. Awaiting responses from experts.

Want to change your name legally? Searching for how to go about it? Find responses from experts here.

Author: Kailash Kumar    18 Feb 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

Changing the name legally generally involves following three steps -
1. The local notary should be contacted and a affidavit should be prepared . Reasons for changing the name should also be cited in the affidavit e.g. due to marriage (generally in case of women), numerological or astrological considerations etc.
2. A news item about the change in name should be published preferably in two local dailies and at least 10 copies of the same/cuttings should be kept for use in future.
3. Next and final step is Gazette notification. Visit the Government press or the concerned department which coordinates publications. Obtain and fill two copies of Deed Changing Surname Form and follow further instructions.
After publication of notification in the official Gazette, the name change process completes.

Post Answer

You must Sign In to post a response.

Post Answer        

Related Questions
  • Return to Question Index
  • Ask Question to Experts

  • Awards & Gifts
    Top Contributors
    TodayLast 7 Daysmore...

    Online Members

    ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. © All Rights Reserved.