|Author: Kailash Kumar 19 Feb 2016 Member Level: Platinum Points : 2 (Rs 2) Voting Score: 0|
While learning about virtual world, it should be learnt in no uncertain terms that bullying and intimation by certain individuals is an integral part of the virtual world and all such provocations are to be ignored totally. Equipped with such knowledge before hand, the users will not find it worthwhile to indulge in entertaining the attempts of bullies or intimidators. The principle that ' though we cannot change the world, but we can change ourselves' has to be applied in such cases. Any message, reference or poke by a total stranger should always be ignored.
|Author: Seema Shah 19 Feb 2016 Member Level: Gold Points : 6 (Rs 6) Voting Score: 2|
Well, a very relevant and interesting question indeed.
The solution to tackle bullies and intimidation tactics depend on the nature/ attitude/ personality/ habit of the person coming across this situation.
My answer is based on: standing up for self, doing what is right in our own eyes.
Also note that online: words put up become permanent unless you can delete them. But when the content is posted by others, it is their choice whether to leave it or delete it. Hence a higher level of maturity is required in the virtual world as compared to the real world. Maturity comprises of selection of humble, calm and composed, sweet words, which create positivity, curt, straightforward, concise put our point across and patience.
So let me list a set of probable solutions for bullying and intimidating tactics and you may pick what suits you:
1. Patience, respond with short concise message
2. Do not get disturbed, since your response talks about your attitude
3. There is no concept of space or territory in the virtual world. I mean: stay within boundaries. Each person has freedom of speech.
4. The moment one takes names, they enter our boundary, Then we have have to speak up. But: does not mean answering every point which is questioned! A simple one liner which covers the gist of the reply is enough, this response needs to be delayed, not immediately when you read it. So you will get some time to think and then calm down and respond.
5. People do not have a right to bully us. But if they do, keep away from them, ignore them. Running behind them will not resolve the issue.
6. If people intimidate you, provoke you deliberately, then it is best to not get provoked. Ignore the acts, wait and watch and relax. If you get provoked, you are doing exactly what the other person wants. Where is our own mind going? Why not live our life as we want, in our way and doing what we love?
7. I feel that there is no need to give elaborate justification, when we are right in what we have done. Always stick to the book. Do things as per norms,and mention the norms dicto, instead of posting a personal response.
8. In espace, if we play a higher role, then it becomes all the more important to respond in the professional role and not personally.
9. Keep professional roles aside from personal feelings.
10. When someone bullies online, all readers know and understand very well, who is bullying. So the best solution is not to take this bullying to heart and send a one line response and move ahead with life.
I hope I have been able to do justice to your question.
|Author: Mahesh 21 Feb 2016 Member Level: Gold Points : 3 (Rs 3) Voting Score: 2|
There are many ways you can deal with them.
1. Walk away from the bully. Avoid interactions. Because that will only increase your suffering.
2. Just post your content and move on. If you're worried about bullies.
3. Interact with selective people who are into positive criticism and communication.
4. Use humor. It clears the cloud of anger and judgement on each other.
These are some of the ways that can be used online. However most of the time you walking out of threads and posts can be a good solution. I think many people have slowed down the bully attacks this way.
Know the patterns of bullies and avoid them. Think of them as more or less of an obstacle and ignore them. This have worked for many people online.