Ask Experts » Education » School Homework Help »

How to explain the concept of 'Raman effect' to a 7 yr old

Date: 19 Feb 2016    Group: Education    Category: School Homework Help   

I need to explain the concept of 'Raman effect' to a kid who is in second grade. Could you please give me ideas on how I could go about illustrating it with some simple experiment to support the same? I need to make the child ready for a science exhibition and so it is vital for the kid to be able to understand the concept clearly in order to answer the probable questions from the visitors. Hence, kindly explain the same in simple language avoiding usage of complicated scientific terminologies. Experts : do assist.

Want to teach scientific concepts to a seven year child? Then on this page you will get some tips.

Author: Seema Shah    19 Feb 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

I am not sure why this topic is chosen for the science exhibition for a seven year old.
Raman effect is a very high level concept, and I am not sure how a seven year old can grasp and answer questions regarding the same.
How will the terms like wavelength, change in wavelength, radiation, scattering, photons, molecules, spectroscopy etc. be understood by a seven year old.
My advice: select a simple scientific principle which the child can present as a project!
Project is supposed to be a learning experience, at the current intellectual level of the child.

Author: pankaj patidar    19 Feb 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

1) First of all you have clear all your concept regarding Raman effect before explaining it to a kid.

2) After that start with basics related to raman effect.

3) Explain him about terms like wavelength, radiation, scattering ,medium etc.

4) Once a kid understand all the basics it is easy for him to understand Raman Effect.

5) After that create a nice presentation with all the essential diagrams related to raman effect and show it to kid.

6) In this way you can clearly explain a kid about raman effect.

Author: Karandeep Singh Grewal    21 Feb 2016      Member Level: Bronze     Points : 1    Voting Score: 0

This video can be more useful

Refer to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twSg2zbjjnA