Ask Experts » Opinion About » Miscellaneous »

Best tips to buying swim wear

Date: 22 Feb 2016   Posted By: Vandana     Group: Opinion About    Category: Miscellaneous   

Going through the features of some swimming costumes available online, I came across a few which mentioned them as being chlorine-resistant and many as being quick to dry. I would like to know whether it is necessary to buy a swimming costume which is chlorine resistant. Is it an important aspect to consider? If yes, in what sense?
Also, I would like some other expert tips when purchasing a swimming costume for ladies in terms of material, colour and, most important, the size & fitting aspects (what measurements to consider and how to use a size chart if given). Please recommend reputed brands too which are preferably not more than 2k. I am looking for one which has at least 3/4th sleeves and ankle-length or at least knee-length swimming costumes within this budget. Please do not recommend ones which show too much skin and definitely no bikinis. They should be decent ones as per what I have mentioned.

Since the swimming cap is also an important part of swim wear, would like tips on that too in this same Ask Expert thread.

Related query: Is it necessary to wear swim goggles in a pool?

Awaiting responses from experts.

Searching for information about good swimwear? Check out responses from experts here.

Author: Juana    22 Feb 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 6  (Rs 6)    Voting Score: 2

To the best of my knowledge 'chlorine resistant' swimwear is nothing but swimwear made from polyester. These are ideally suited for swimmers who spend long hours in the pool and are susceptible to skin allergies. However, such swimwear does have its share of cons.

• Since the material is thick it doesn't stretch well and can get uncomfortable
• The fabric doesn't breathe, which can cause skin irritation, since swimwear is worn snug

The quick dry variants are good for beach wear, where you want to laze around on the sands after a dip in the water or on a poolside lounger after a swim. I don't see any other purpose to them. Why would anyone need quick dry swimwear if the trip is going to be from the pool to the shower?

For recreational swimming a normal costume in lycra or spandex should suffice.

Going by the specifications you have listed I am taking you have inhibitions about body exposure. Taking that into consideration I suggest the following –
• Look for a costume with padding in the bust region – this should be removable padding. It makes washing the costume easier

• Buy swimwear that has a skirt fitted to it around the waist – this conceals the body contours (check attached photo)

Size
1. The swimming costume must be in a material that stretches. This ensures proper fit.
2. The size depends on the brand you buy. The size may be marked as XS, S, M, L, XL etc or mentioned in inches. You will have to decide what size will fit best based on your measurement and the chart provided on the tab. Swimwear with inches generally has bust and hip measurements mentioned on the label. Again, you will need to pick one that fits your body type.
3. Don't buy a loose costume, as it will hang, collect water and may also reveal skin, as it won't be skin hugging.

Colour
Keeping in mind safety aspects I'd suggest bright colours. They are ideal as they can be spotted easily. Think red, orange, pink and bright green etc. Steer away from blues and aqua greens as these colours merge with the swimming pool tiles.

Brand
Speedo is known for its swimwear and you will definitely find something in your budget. However, reputed brands do not design sleeved/ankle length swimwear. The most you can expect is a flared skirt covering the hip region. Other brands that you can consider are Puma and Reebok, but there is a restriction of design.

You can also check the lingerie sections in Lifestyle and Westside. The swimwear might not be from renowned brands, but you can be sure of quality.

Swimming cap
I'd recommend Speedo swimming caps. They are the best.