Ask Experts » Government » Panchayat/Municipality/Corporation »

Name issue in my birth certificate

Date: 25 Feb 2016    Group: Government    Category: Panchayat/Municipality/Corporation   

I have just applied for a govt job and have a problem in my certificate birth certificate. All other documents have the same name. In my birth certificate my name was spelt differently. Does document verification need birth certificate?
Experts: do advice.

Having a name issue in birth certificate? Worried about document verification for got. job? Check out this Ask Expert page for resolution to this query.

Author: Bhuvaneswara Rao Nalla    26 Feb 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 1  (Rs 1)    Voting Score: 0

Any Government job never asks for the birth certificate during the document verification process. It only asks for the matriculation certificate for proof of the age. But while applying for passport in India you need a birth certificate if you are born after January 26, 1989 and if you are born before that date, you can submit other documents like matriculation certificate for your age proof.

Author: Kailash Kumar    26 Feb 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

It depends on the nature and type of variation also e.g. spelling mistake due to difference in the letters 's' and 'sh' mean differently than other mistakes which make the name totally different. As pointed out by the previous author also, generally 10th standard certificate is accepted as a proof for date of birth in Government jobs and birth certificate is not demanded. I presume that spelling mistakes of minor nature are ignored at the stage of verification of documents. Generally notarized affidavit serve the purpose. However in case it is possible, the spelling of name in the birth certificate should be got corrected so as to make names in all documents alike.