Ask Experts » Career Guidance » Other Jobs »

Confused about my career

Date: 25 Feb 2016   Posted By: Akshay     Group: Career Guidance    Category: Other Jobs   

I am in B.E 3rd year (CSE). I cant decide what to do'. My friends suggested to prepare for CGL and IBPS but I want to go in Air Force or take up an Army Technical job.
Sometimes I think that I should go for a private job in a software company because I have chosen CS branch. But I dont know programming'. I am also thinking of taking up job as JE in BSNL.
Awaiting advice from experts.

Confused what to do after engineering? Find career advice from experts on this Ask Experts page.

Author: Kailash Kumar    27 Feb 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Out of the various options cited by the author I would rate the option 'JE in BSNL' as the best option. However the author will have to decide once for all as to what he wants. Remaining in a state of confusion will lead to nowhere. One should never attempt to ride more than one boat simultaneously. After having decided the choice, then one should forget all other options and give his hundred percent in preparing himself for the same with focused attention and dogged determination. Prior to taking final decision, listen to all and seek opinions of many, but after finalizing, refuse to listen to what your friends say. Tell them that you better bother for your own self, I have already decided about myself.

Author: Mahesh    27 Feb 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

You have to choose whichever career you think you can do effectively. You can't get into the job that your parents think you should do. So go with the one you are comfortable with and that should be enough to give you direction.

I think you are good with the job in BSNL then go ahead. Government job is not only secure these days but also with less corporate headache. You'd have less excitement in life with government job but trust me it's way better than regular job. So pick the government job be it BSNL or bharath eletronics etc. That should get you started.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    29 Feb 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Prior to taking up any step, you have to consider numerous angles such as your comfort ability while performing your job, your own interest in the area which you would like to choose and a firm decision to persue the same even in the case of adversities.
All the fields as indicated by you such as Soft- ware, Air - force, Army - technical jobs, BSNL etc are really prospective fields provided you do have geniune inclination for a particular field. BSNL a public undertaking and as such you would have a secured job which is otherwise impossible in The Soft - ware jobs. Air - force and Army - technical jobs need a lot of sacrifice. Even sometimes the leaves of the employees are not sanctioned in view of emergencies.
So, a firm decision has to be taken considering the pros and cons in each situation.