Which subjects stream to choose in Class 10?

Date: 27 Feb 2016   Posted By: Shrey Srivastava     Group: Education    Category: India Educational Consultants   

I am studying in Seth M.R. Jaipuria School Lucknow. I am in class 7 and will be going in 8 after April. I am worried about the stream that I have to choose in class 10. I am good in mathematics, good in English, good in computer average in physics and poor in chemistry, very confused in biology. My marks this time were as follow:

• 96.8% in mathematics
  • 89.7% in English
  • 98.9% in computer science
  • 81.8% in physics
  • 64.8% in chemistry
  • 61.0%in biology

I think I can choose mathematics with commerce or either with computer as my science is poor.
So waiting for members suggestions. Please help me and find me success in my life.

Confused about which subjects to take up in Class 10? Get expert guidance in selection of the right subjects in Std X to ensure a great career path ahead.

Author: Kalyani    27 Feb 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Is yours not a CBSE / ICSE affiliated school? Do you need to choose a stream in 10th? Don't you have to study all the subjects in 10th?

I suppose, it is only in the 11th you need to think of choosing a stream i.e Science, Commerce or Arts (Humanities).

However, I would like to suggest you to consider your interest in a subject / stream for choosing a stream than giving importance to the score. Interest in a particular stream is very important for deciding your career life. One may not be successful in one's career life, if one's goes out of interest.

So, you are the best judge to decide in which subject / stream you are interested and accordingly choose the stream.

Author: Mahesh    27 Feb 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Your physics and maths performance is good. You should definitely try for the research career. If possible you can also try IITJEE and go for the offshore education. Your grades are definitely good enough for the technology career.

If your physics is good I am not sure what makes you think that science is weak.If your math is good then you'd do just fine with electronics and computers. So definitely check that out.

Commerce is not the bad stream you just have to struggle a bit to compete with others. I guess you should definitely consider engineering as an option to get into IT industry.

Author: Shrey Srivastava    27 Feb 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 1    Voting Score: 0

@Mahesh Sir ,
As you said that "If your physics is good I am not sure what makes you think that science is weak."
But what about Chemistry.
And IIT-JEE needs Chemistry too and I am poor in chemistry. But thanks for your suggestions.
Shrey Srivastava.

Author: Juana    27 Feb 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

Let me begin by saying that stream selection is possible only after you finish the 10th grade. You are in the 7th now and perhaps not sure what you want to do in life. Most young people find themselves at crossroads when it comes to making this crucial decision. However, at this point in time you need to be aware of the following –

• There is still time for you to decide which stream to pick
• A magical moment might transpire and your performance in PCM may improve
• Someone may motivate, inspire and make learning and understanding these subjects better, thus helping you with improving your grades

The one positive that I see from your post is that instead of fretting about not scoring 90% and above in certain subjects, you recognize your strengths. That is the right attitude. Let me add here that courses in technology and research are not the be all and end all of education. There are many more courses that are equally challenging and in demand.

I too think you should opt for Mathematics with Commerce, as it's a stream that is currently in demand in the financial sector. I suggest that you also study a foreign language as that is always an added advantage.

Additionally, you can combine subjects such as Accounts, Business Studies and Economics or other interesting subject options that your school offers. Your aim must be to study subjects that work well together and those that will provide varied opportunities for you at the undergrad level.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    28 Feb 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 6  (Rs 6)    Voting Score: 0

Since you are a student of class seven, you would be getting abundant time to develop further interest in the subjects included in your syllabus. In both ISC and CBSE pattern, the selection of streams are taken up in class eleven and as such there is no need to be perturbed at this stage.
As is evident from your marks sheet, your performance in respect of Mathematics and Physics appear to be good and the only deficient area seem to be Chemistry.
I must appreciate your stand that you do have sufficient analytical skills to assess your weakness and strength. These are important tools to excel in the competitive life. With regard to Chemistry, I would suggest to go through your text- book thoroughly and sometimes some glossaries incorporated in the chapters may be beyond your comprehension and if such is the case, take help of your teacher so that the minor obstacles can be handled with ease. Conceptual clarity would certainly make the subject more interesting in the time ahead.
As soon as you reach in class eleven, you would have clear clarity of your goal. You may like the combination of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. In regard to commerce stream, while Mathematics is important, there are other subjects as well including Accountancy and Commercial - mathematics. This stream can be handled in an efficient way because of your good command in Mathematics.
In the present circumstance, I would advise you to put extra efforts in the deficient areas so that your confidence boosts up. You can choose your stream in a matured way only when you have enough confidence.

Author: [Anonymous]    28 Feb 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

As far as i Know, the stream should be decided after 10th standard. So, you still have one more year to go through the subjects and learn more about your interest.
For selection, read your mind and your capability. Scoring good marks is not the only thing which should be considered. You also give a thought about what you want in future.
Interest can be created and once it is done, you will start scoring good in that subject.

Author: Madan Lal Mahato    01 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

I am agree author Kalyani. You have to choose in 11th. According to your marks, you should take stream science with math paper in class 11th. But you are in class 10. So,you have to read all the subjects and try to improve your physics which subject may be useful in you career. You have enough time to improve your subjects.