Ask Experts » Computers » Programming »

Required hardware for connecting sensors to a computer

Date: 28 Feb 2016   Posted By: Sreejith     Group: Computers    Category: Programming   

As a part of my project I need to display and log the readings/test results of different types of sensors (RTD,Barometer,RH Sensor,Proximity sensor) with rs232 outputs into Labview software.
For this,can I simply connect them to my computer using RS232-USB cables or do I need a data acquisition device to convert the analog signals into digital signals?
If yes, do suggest an appropriate device.
Awaiting suggestions from experts.

Wondering where to get sensors fora project? Check out responses from experts on this Ask Expert page.

Author: Bhuvaneswara Rao Nalla    29 Feb 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

If you sensor outputs analog signals, you cannot connect them directly to the PC through an RS 232 cable or through a USB-RS232 converter cable. You have to convert the analog signals into digital signals using an ADC( Analog to Digital Converter) and you have to calibrate the ADC accordingly, depending on the range of voltage or current the sensor is outputting. You can use a low-end microcontroller having inbuilt ADC and RS232 to do your project. Otherwise, some ready-made RTD-RS232 Converters like DAT3014, are available in the market. You can use them directly. DAT3014 also has Resistance and Potentiometer inputs. You can design a circuit using your sensor in such a way that it outputs variable resistance. Otherwise, you can search in the internet for the component, which exactly fits your requirement.

Author: saikishore Meda    25 Jul 2016      Member Level: Silver     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Hello sreejith,

To work with the sensors like proximity sensor you can't directly use the PC, and to convert the Analog to Digital there are some converters you have to use them.

If you are doing a project based on the sensors try to use a "intel Geililo" , "Rasberry pi" boards which are available on the market those prices are 5000-10000 (based on the model).

The boards are work with the linux operating systems. You need to make a code for the sensors by using the tools of that boards.

After coding send the script to the board using the micro data cable. After that the sensor will work as per your instructions.

I hope this answer will help you.