Ask Experts » Health » Nutrition »

How can I gain weight that will give me better personality as well as stamina & energy for my study

Date: 28 Feb 2016   Posted By: prerana     Group: Health    Category: Nutrition   

I am 21 year old with height 5'8". But my weight is too less which falls between 45 kgs-48kgs. I strongly wish to gain weight that will add perfection to my personality. I can't exercise or join gym because of my physical problem of back and neck pain. Can you provide information about diet to resolve this problem?
Experts: do provide suggestions.

Wondering how to gain weight? Find suggestions on this Ask Experts page.

Author: Kailash Kumar    02 Mar 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Generally body weight of men/women of height 5 ft and 8 inches should be in the range of 65.8 to 70.8 Kgs/62.2 to 66.7 Kgs. respectively. In my opinion the author should consider undergoing detailed medical examination by a medical professional to know the possible reasons of the prevailing condition. It is better to adopt a scientific approach than a trial and error method. Similarly regarding balancing diet etc. consultation with a trained dietitian may be considered after medical examination. In general a protein rich diet is recommended as the growth of bones almost completes by the time an individual reaches the age of 21 years. Besides diet, regular physical exercise and disciplined lifestyle is must.

Author: Mahesh    02 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

In order to gain weight while being healthy and retain the stamina you have to join some sport activity. You can choose as simple as cycling. You can also choose swimming or other outdoor activity. Do note that indoor sports take mental energy whereas outdoor one taking the stamina out of you.

You can also pay attention to the diet. Think of maintaining weight instead of rapid gaining. The problem with weight gain is that once it starts you can't stop. It turns into obesity and requires regular attention from you for it to sustain. So you have to make sure that there is healthy diet too. If not, then you may have another problem to deal with here.

Break your daily schedule into exercise, healthy food intake and some moderate amount of yoga. This should balance your mind, body and stomach. And this could even retain your health and give another edge to the personality.

Author: Madan Lal Mahato    02 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

You have very less weight which is lies between 45 to 48 and your weight should be lies between 60 to 65. You can increase your weight by taking protein in a sufficient amount. I think you should eat, milk chicken, mutton, paneer and eggs every day and in a proper manner. After that if your weight is not increase then you should have to contact with the doctor.

Author: Karthikeyan    03 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 5  (Rs 5)    Voting Score: 0

Before answering your question let me clarify one thing, stamina and weight are not related each other. It doesn't mean people with decent weight have good stamina. I see people who are slim and less weight has good stamina than the others.

You should follow different types of diet and physical activity to increase stamina and weight.

To increase weight
1. Your diet is the important factor which affects your weight. Follow proper diet and eat healthy food with good number of carbohydrates. It will help to increase your weight.
2. Eat properly on correct timings all through the day. Eating with irregular intervals will affect your weight.
3. Take non-vegetarian food if possible. Non-vegetarian food are known for increasing weight.
4. Take boiled egg with milk early morning.
5. Take good number of nuts in your diet.

To increase stamina
Food alone won't allow you to increase stamina. You need to concentrate on various things.
1. As mentioned by others, join any sport activity like swimming, cycling or any other indoor games.
2. Martial arts like karate and kung fo will help you to increase stamina.
3. Eat food with good amount of protein.
4. Add calcium in your diet.