Ask Experts » Education » India Educational Consultants »

Am I eligible for lectureship?

Date: 28 Feb 2016   Posted By: Josephine     Group: Education    Category: India Educational Consultants   

I am currently pursuing M.Sc Environmental Science in distance course. I want to do research on Environmental Biology. I graduated in B.Sc general course. Am I eligible for lectureship? Are there any good Universities in India where I can do research in Environmental Biology?
Experts: do provide guidance.

Wondering how to become a lecturer in Environmental domain? Find responses from experts on this page.

Author: Kailash Kumar    29 Feb 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Doing lectureship and research are two entirely different things. However the author may thoroughly study the website of National Eligibility Test (NET), treating it as a part of his research. NET is conducted by the CBSE on behalf of the UGC to determine eligibility of Indian nationals for the post of Assistant Professor or Junior Research Fellowship. In my opinion the author may consider preparing himself for cracking the NET examination with flying colors securing top position among the candidates. Through this competitive examination, door of both the options will open for the author.

Author: [Anonymous]    29 Feb 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

Please find below my answers-
Q. Am I eligible for lectureship?
A.- No, you need to clear CSIR NET LS for lectureship. Although it is honestly followed only in government colleges and you may try for some private colleges to get lectureship even without clearing this exam. But then the package will not be very attractive.
CSIR and UGC conducts this exam twice a year- June and Dec. You can apply for this exam after clearing your 1 st year of post graduation degree. This will also help to you get good institute for research.

Are there any good Universities in India where I can do research in Environmental Biology? Yes, there are many good government institutes offering research projects based on Environmental Biology.
You need to search based on your location and project of interest.
If you will get any good project for research, in that case you may get teaching assistant-ship if you want.

Author: Mahesh    01 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Every person who is likely to be lecturer is going to be through process of NET. And without that there is no way you can get the eligibility. You may work as assistant lecturer but still in such you would need to give the exam eventually. Unless you do that you are not eligible and won't be payable as per the university or UGC based salaries. You need to make sure that you pass these tests in order for further career in the lecturership. Any future increments to the position are possible after you pass the exam.

Author: Partha Kansabanik    01 Mar 2016      Member Level: Diamond     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

Environmental Science is a subject of CSIR-NET. For research and lectureship in this subject, you have to appear in the NET examination (eligibility: 55% in the Post Graduation for General category). If you clear the CSIR-NET for both JRF and lectureship, both the options (research and lectureship) would be open for you. If you clear it only for lectureship, you would be eligible for lectureship. You can appear in this examination more than once. This examination is held twice in a year-in June and in December.

Author: Sheo Shankar Jha    01 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

You cannot go for the lectureship without the clearance of NET test. This test is conducted by UGC twice in year - ie in the month of December and June and a minimum 55 percent is required in your Post - graduation degree. By clearing this test, you would be eligible for the lectureship in a Government college. However, this criteria is not applicable in case you intend to start your career in a private - college.
In order to sustain your research - activity, you have to pass the Junior Research Felow included in NET test and in that way, you can continue your Research - job.

Post Answer

You must Sign In to post a response.

Post Answer        

Related Questions
  • Return to Question Index
  • Ask Question to Experts

  • Awards & Gifts
    Top Contributors
    TodayLast 7 Daysmore...

    ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. © All Rights Reserved.