Ask Experts » Computers » Security »

Cyber Cafes, its uses and security

Date: 29 Feb 2016    Group: Computers    Category: Security   

Recently, I went to a cyber cafe, filed online RTI applications and downloaded PDF files, saved in folders "Downloads", "Documents", "My Computer", "Desktop". After used, I deleted the files but couldn't not make sure whether some files got stuck in certain folders.
I returned home, and suddenly my mind became suspicious on its safety and doubted whether those deleted files could be restored and misused by someone in that public computer of cyber cafe.
Also a technological question came up to my mind. Does print command for 'PDF files' remains automatically saved elsewhere in computer if we had not saved personally in folders?
Awaiting responses from experts.

Worried about the security in cyber cafes? Check out responses from experts here.

Author: Mahesh    01 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

Most of the cyber cafe have one software that deletes all the file and each reboot starts a new session. This way the data you downloaded gets rebooted. And you don't have to worry about data getting used. Also next time you have such emergency issue, use the private computer. Also you can download the files or use them only from your USB drive. This should be more than enough for you to be feeling more secure about your files.

PDF doesn't get saved in a cache. It just prints right from the file itself and once the queue ended it is removed. This is to free-up the memory cache. This happens with almost every type of files and not just PDF.

I suggest you to use USB pendrive from next time in the cyber cafe. Also make sure to use anti virus when you done using it in cyber cafe. As there are many viruses in cyber cafe so this surely makes it a bit hard to ignore security.

Author: Karthikeyan    03 Mar 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 3  (Rs 3)    Voting Score: 0

It is mostly depends upon the type of cyber cafe you visited. Most of the computers in cyber cafes are installed with software which help free up the memory by deleting unwanted files. They don't keep the files saved by users. It is a overhead for them to keep the files used by customers as it will take a lot of memory.

I suggest you few things here,

1. Delete all the files saved by you while logging off.
2. Delete the browser cookies and web history from the browser.
3. Use USB drives to take backup of your files.
4. Don't Save passwords in any browser.

These tips help you to ensure your security and privacy in cyber cafes.

Author: Krishna Teja Yeluripati    03 Jun 2016      Member Level: Gold     Points : 2  (Rs 2)    Voting Score: 0

Generally, all cyber cafes have a software which connects all the systems in the cyber cafe. When you are given a system to work with, it asks some id and password. Most probably, the password will be the name of the cyber cafe otherwise it will be given to you before starting a session. You login with a user id of your own. After the session, all your files in recent etc,. folders are removed.

You will have no problem if you do the following before ending your session.
1) Clear browser history (select all categories like cached images, passwords etc,.).
2) Delete all the files you downloaded.
In case the software itself is created to do activities like saving passwords etc., it will be a problem. But this type of softwares are generally not used.

Hope this answer helps.