Ask Experts » Education » Exam Questions »

Do I need to have OBC NCL certificate issued by govt. of India only.

Date: 29 Feb 2016    Group: Education    Category: Exam Questions   

I am going to appear for JEE Advance 2016 and I belong to OBC category. I have an OBC NCL certificate issued by Punjab government. The format of OBC NCL certificate as given in the information brochure of jee advance is little bit different from that of mine. Do I need to have this certificate issued by government of India? If yes then how could I get it?
Experts: do advice.

Searching for information about issue of OBC NCL certificate? Find suggestions from experts on this page.

Author: Kailash Kumar    02 Mar 2016      Member Level: Platinum     Points : 4  (Rs 4)    Voting Score: 0

The caste certificate should be issued by the competent authorities only . Following is list of some such competent authorities -
1. District Magistrate/Additional Magistrate/Collector/Deputy Commissioner/Additional Deputy Commissioner
2. Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tehsildar
3. Sub-Divisional Officer of the area where the candidate and/ or his family resides
The nomenclature /designation of competent authorities may vary in various states.
The website http://punjab.gov.in/caste-certificate-obc caters to the need of residents of Punjab in such matters.
Regarding acceptability of such certificates issued by the competent authorities in case of any particular examination, it is better to seek clarification directly from the examination conducting body to be on safer side as legally caste certificates issued by the competent authorities should be treated as valid.